Fed Ex ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Fed Ex ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
3 weeks ago. I recieved a very small package in the mail from the US. It has a value of $25 US dollars and shipping was $12, When it arrived from Canada Post, I had to pay Customs $8 I believe it was.(thats not a problem) Here it is 3 weeks later and I just recieved a letter from FedX saying I owe them $11 for shipping. WTF Is this the same as UPS's exstortion fees? Should I pay it or just ignore it. Ive heard others saying that UPS tries the same scam and people just dont pay it.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8
Re: Fed Ex ?

I received the same letter before, a couple yrs ago...I never paid it, yeah what rip off!
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Doesn't sound right. IF it was shipped via FedEx, they would have handled the customs legwork or brokerage and would have collected from you directly. If Canada Post has the collection paperwork attached to the package (usually $5 charge plus applicable HST for hobby items, no customs duties apply on RC hobby items -- they're exempt), that usually means that they handled the brokerage. Better go back and find the package and attached paperwork.

Next stop would be to demand (politely) from FedEx a copy of the paperwork for when they did the brokerage. The reference numbers for it passing through Customs (not sure of the correct term right now) should match.

Worst case (and really odd in my experience), is that you do have to pay FedEx's fees.

If it is a FedEx scam of some sort, and Canada Post had actually done the customs legwork, I'd take the issue (and all documentation that you have) to Consumer and Corporate Affairs and lodge a formal complaint. Make sure that the address that you're supposed to send the payment to is an actual FedEx location. It might be someone pretending to be FedEx, and if it is the case, then pass the letter to the police or FedEx to handle.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 02-22-2011 at 06:54 PM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: guyl

Total Props: 1

Keep all your Canada Post documents. For FedX....it smells
of double billing....

Once many years ago one of my sons broke a large window at
a gas/convenience store when his snowmobile slid into the
that building. Their insurance did cover the cost.
Some weeks afterwards, the manager sent me a bill to pay
him for the damage. Guess what I told him.....
guyl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

since when does fedex send things by mail? it would have been delivered to your door if it was send fedex would it not?

sounds like a scam of some kind to me.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by astrofler View Post
since when does fedex send things by mail?
they do it all the time! I'm not kidding, no joke. Well it is a joke in a way, but seriously they do forward packages via Canada Post when they're too stupid to figure out they don't deliver to a postal code. It get's even better when they include a pre-addressed label for return shipping via FedEx. On the bright side they'll report the package as successfully delivered once they give it to the Post Office even though you've not received it yet.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

FedEx and UPS try to double bill us all the time, just call them with your payment info from before, and they will cancel the bill.
Otherwise you risk them sending a bill collector after you, and/or putting a bad mark against your credit rating. Might take you a few minutes of your time now, but well worth it.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.