Flap Adjustment - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Re: Flap Adjustment

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
She is a beauty.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Has anyone rigged the flaps where they operate opposite like a control line stunt job. It might be interesting.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
I bought this .60 size Spitfire off ebay. I t came in a plain box with no markings. The only label is "ARF" on the back page of the instructions. It is a well made model that comes with retracts and flaps. The recommended setting for the flaps is 8MM, about 10 deg. On most models setting up the flaps is usually a waste of time. Many models have really weird reaction when you lower the flaps. Should I set the servo arm so when the flaps are full down the pushrod and the servo arm form a straight line, thus taking the strain off the servo. Does anyone out there regularly fly an aircraft with flaps? What did you do to make it fly right on approach. I know that aircraft with flaps down require a lot more power to keep them in the air.
Actually 8mm is not really much of a flap setting. The T/otter is 13mm and 38mm for flap 1 and flap 2 settings and the Deuces is 16mmand 29mm (both by the book).; but a person can experiment a couple of mm here or there.

The big thing is elevator should be mixed with flap setting as it makes it a ton easier to fly. I feel that a lot of guys that use flaps do not use the servo slow with flaps and they bang down to whatever setting selected and the airplane will pitch up quickly before a person has time to compensate and then the flaps are blamed as being crappy!

On final, the adjustment of throttle amount all depends on how much flap is used, size of flaps, airfoil and airplane type; so stating a specifice amount of throttle to generalize does not work as each setting and aircfaft type will be different. Best to experiment up higher so response is seen, works best to fine tune. Makes sense ?
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Has anyone rigged the flaps where they operate opposite like a control line stunt job. It might be interesting.
I have!

I did this on my Formosa:

This was my second version of this airplane. Notice the bigger ailerons. They are 100% bigger than the original design.

I configured it as a flapperon plane, with it being configured through an auxiliary switch.
In the normal position, it works like a normal plane.
In the enabled position, I get opposite flaps to the elevator input. So flaps down with "UP" elevator and negative flaps when I give a down elevator command.

It makes for some very sharp corners when you yank the controls. Its not for everyday use, but I turn it on every now and again, depending on how I feel like flying that day...
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.