Voltage regulator for LI-PO rec. pack - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Voltage regulator for LI-PO rec. pack

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Your regulator output would depend on the number and type of servos. Digitals are power hogs under load. Some can draw in excess of 1.5A each when under considerable load or stalled.

The earlier version CC 10A BEC's had some problems. Due to that I got rid of mine and went with a MPI regulator in my T600. They seem to have it sorted now and the specs are better to boot.

Since then Castle has also come out with a 20A unit that works up to 24V input without it affecting the output amps. I bought one to run a 2S LiFE pack in my Harvard and it seems to be working fine running 4 digital and 3 standard servos, including retracts and flaps.

The reason I mention this is some regulators, the CC 10 included, are what is called "Power Limited" meaning as the input voltage increases the output amps decreases. Above 12V input the CC 10 now drops to only 7A output capacity and above 24V it now is rated only for 5A, (the original specs were much lower). As mentioned before you would need the PC link to adjust the output voltage if you want it above the stock 5V.

p.s. If I remember correctly the CC specs also are dependant on adequate cooling airflow, so buried deep inside in stagnant air they may not put out as much.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

Something else that no one has mentioned is that there are 2 different types of BEC.
One is a linear BEC it acts like a variable resistor to regulate the voltage and is rather inefficient and generates a lot of heat.
The other is is a switching BEC. The switching BEC if, not well designed, can cause noise interference, but is much more efficient than a linear BEC.

I have a Hangar 9 Spitfire with 5, HS325 servos and a Futaba 617 gear servo. An inexpensive 5 amp switching BEC has worked well for the past 2 seasons of flying.

Since Lipo batteries should be removed from the plane for charging you can put a BEC in your models and have only a few batteries for all your planes. I use the same 3S2200 Lipo for Helis and Planes.

On planes where battery removal is impractical I still prefer Nicd batteries. They are heavier but they are also very robust and can take a lot of abuse .

What ever way you go, use good quality batteries. If a battery quits you will loose the model .. Cheap batteries are a disaster waiting to happen !
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 15

Originally Posted by BigBreeze View Post
I've been using 2S lipos in my gassers for years, in conjunction with Castle Creations 10Amp BEC. They're cheap, programmable, and very light. Just pop the Lipos out of the plane to recharge them, and leave the plane in the van for the next flying day!! Saves on hangar rash!
Yes , me too . The best out there for the money .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.