What do you think of the E-flite Yak? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Real Ronin
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ronin

Total Props: 0
Elec What do you think of the E-flite Yak?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This has been out in Canada a couple months now, wondering how people like it, what mixes if any they used, and any problems with it they found.

I have a couple videos up of it, take a look, and chime in on the Yak itself here.

Real Ronin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: What do you think of the E-flite Yak?

been thinking of getting one myself.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Real Ronin
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ronin

Total Props: 0

Pick one up, you will like it, whether it's 3D or simple aerobatic flight
Real Ronin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray S.

Total Props: 4

Out of the box its a great airplane. Synopsis of owners so far (several threads on RC groups) and my own two months experience...

Before you fly it.....

Check that you wings are FULLY seated in the fuse, its easy to partly seat them, drive the screws into foam and in flight watch them immitate a maple seedling as they spiral to the ground. Break out the glue. They are a tight fit by design, not meant to be taken apart for travel.

Check motor mount for cracks. Its a casting that has some QC issues apparently.

Be careful when mounting the rudder..the top fin bracket is easy to crack as you have to bend it when inserting the rudder post..(HH take note).

Throw out the stock prop or use as a paint stirrer (its not balanced very well) . ...APC 12x6E seems to be the prop of choice (have to resize the hole though). Some are trying 13x4's depending on your flying style. Noticeable improvement in performance, smoother,more power (my experience) (same comment for any PKZ or Efite RTF/BNF. Toss out the stock prop, go APC thin E).

Use lighter packs. 2650 4s Nanos (25C is enough if you're not a hover fanatic, 6.5 minutes flying time to 15 volts) seem to be the consensus choice. Anything up to 3300 will work but your flight time won't be that much longer. I am experimenting with 2200's. Lighter is better, its not a super light airframe.

Its C.G. is neutral by design (its for intermediate pilots, not beginners) so if its your first sport plane beyond a trainer (Bad choice BTW unless you set it up with very gentle rates) it will seem tail heavy.

Its not a pure floater...think of it as a molded airframe, not a foamy. It will fly very slowly, but its an honest airplane that does stall. Its a very strong airframe, and handles wind quite well.

My verdict?

It sets a new standard for out of the box performance, very powerful, essentially unlimited vertical, tracks great and the better a pilot you are the more you will appreciate it. Its a blast to fly. You will likely park your .46-.60s for the summer. Get lots of packs. But just get the Yak.

Raysun is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Looks like lots of wing rock in Harrier? Too bad as the rest of the flight envelope looks really good.

Personally kinda tired of the QQ Yak stuff. Would like to see same concept of aircraft in an S-bach or something else.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Frank Italiano
Radio of choice:
DX 18
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 2

I picked one up on boxing day and haven't flown it yet. The other night I decieded to set it up and get it ready. I noticed that the ailrons were not centre so I did a manuel adjustment. I removed the screw from the ail horn, and the bloody horn broke!! I go into Hobby Hobby to replace this one little horn and you have to buy a whole new wing half. What is that all about.
Just plane crazy!!!
superflies is offline   Quick reply to this message.

e-flite yak54 foamy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.