What size to use? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 9
British Columbia What size to use?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok I'm no expert when it comes to elecronics but I would like you folks to read the following and tell me if what he is saying is true then what is the use of buying these 2700 mah packs for my planes if they are not going to offer me any advantages. I should add that I want to use a couple packs in my giant Corsair because of all the equipment on board.
Thank you, here is the Quote from this fellow.

"Right now, NiMH batteries are about the best choice for transmitter packs and receiver packs in many models.

Caution must be observed when using hi-capacity NiMH cells (over 1650mAH in AA size) because these are more easily damaged by over-charging or charging at too high a current. I prefer to stick with a good quality 1650mAH transmitter pack and top them up at the field if needed (charging at up to 1.0A).

While the higher capacity NiMH cells (up to 2700mAH in AA size) might seem to be better, they will self-discharge more quickly when the gear is turned off and can only be charged at currents of about 250mAH -- making field-top-ups impractical.

And don't be tempted to use the hi-capacity AA cells for receiver packs on anything larger than a .40-sized sports model. The price you pay for this higher capacity is a decided tendency for the voltage to drop under load. There's always a risk that if the voltage drops enough, your receiver will stop working and you could lose control of the model (particularly true with 2.4GHz radio systems).

A favorite NiMH receiver pack of mine is the 2/3A-sized Intellect cells with 1400 mAH capacity. These cells can deliver up to 20A continuously and I've flown my 30% Extra using two of these packs without problems. They weigh about the same as an AA-sized pack but are much better."

Last edited by mrrandyman; 03-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.