When engine test stands go wild..... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Re: When engine test stands go wild.....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would actually commend the guy for posting that video, even if for the wrong reasons. It certainly brings to light a number of safety issues, and maybe gets people thinking about what a proper test stand should be. The basic mount looked good, just the way it was clamped down was very bad.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
If you look closely and go frame by frame, he did use 2 clamps one on either side. I agree, those clamps were the wrong choice for the job. A good C clamp would have been my choice. I also think I can see blood on his shoe.
I don't think that would be enough. I have a good test stand mounted to the end of three feet of 2x4. It's nice and heavy, so it helps control vibration and if it does come loose it's easier to control as it is larger and safer to grab the 2x4 with your hands away from the prop. I use 2 really large metal C-clamps to hold it to a picnic table when I run up engines, and the clamps STILL constantly want to loosen. I have to watch it constantly and carefully.

I've never had it come completely loose like the video above, but I think there needs to be some way of holding it down and in place that does not depend entirely on clamping pressure. I like Dave Homes idea of using a big pin and I think I will incorporate that into my test stand. I want to have a system that is "fail safe" so if the clamps do fall off, it will still not come loose.
John Sloan
MAAC# 7879
JohnnyS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Another valuable lesson to be learned from this video: ALWAYS STAND <<<BEHIND!!!!>>> THE MOTOR WHEN RUNNING AT ANYTHING ABOVE A SLOW IDLE.

Looks like this guy started it up at just about full throttle....
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dennis B

Total Props: 0

That guy has no idea how to use clamps. Like another stated those type clamps are not the best. They are used best when making cupboards or something like a box.

Clamping on top of a Cedar post cap that is more likely warped out of shape. The cap is not the same size as the test stand so he is clamping near the middle of the stand. A picinic table would have been better surface to clamp on.

Overkill on the clamps would have been a better idea also, even one screw into the post would have helped.

It sure looks like he got hit . He is walking around kind of stunned like he didn't know what just hit him. It was the blade dummy.

He will get nominated for Canada's worst handy man.
nitris223 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

I really liked Daves "big pin" idea and am gonna use that in future...thanx Dave

I beg to differ with other comments re those clamps are OK, and that he just didnt use them properly...I know from several bad experiences those cheapo hand clamps are just about useless for anything including joinery, frames, boxes, indeed Ive used them (in a pinch) too and had them slip and loosen so many times, that I finally junked mine....I'd Never....Ever, use em to hold down an RC engine, then run it.

Yes, C clamps are a better option but as someone else said they will work loose too....I recently used two 9" C clamps to secure a ST3000 (and yes the prop was finely balanced) that worked themselves loose within 30 seconds and yes I'd reefed heavily on the suckers before firing up.....Fortunately, I'd also screwed the test stand/bracket to the work table too.
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.