My thoughts on the RC hobby today... - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #41
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Re: My thoughts on the RC hobby today...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes View Post
Not to hijack this thread, Jeremy; but if everyone could present their points of view in the reasoned, cogent manner in which you have done in this thread.. What a wonderful place it would always be!

Kudos, and I agree with virtually everything you have presented here.
I too concur with Jeremy, he said it all and said it effectively...Ive been in the hobby on and off for four decades and seen many changes, apart from cheaper equipment the most significant change has been the advent of the park flyer.

You have only to hang out at any RC forum to see the PF subject is extremely emotive and capable of inciting flame wars like no other.

Personally, when I see guys flying in parks and school fields I make a point to introduce myself, offer help if they appear to be newbies then invite them to visit to our club field. Some decline, but I at least make the effort to gather them into the fold.

What concerns me is this

I realize some here think PF'rs are 'renegades" but I see em as prospective club members so offer unconditional help (and Yes, lessons)...Y'know, anyone with the nuts and fortitude to attempt flying alone is a person worthy of my I'll approach them in a friendly manner, on the basis that....."ya catch more flys with sugar, than vinegar"
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Stephen Cochrane
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Re: My thoughts on the RC hobby today...

1. Expense
I took up RC flying as my retirement hobby - gave up my HO trains. Why - always enjoyed planes, was in Air Cadets in high school, wanted to learn to fly but no money. Trains I love too, collected a room full of stuff over the years. But comparing the train guys and plane guys I met in the last few years, the plane guys win - more fun!!!. Flew Ukie when I was first married but other time committments put an end to that.

People talk about expense - I got up and going for about $500 plus MAAC and the club fees. Spent a bunch more since buying accessories to make he hobby more enjoyable - electric started, battery, tools etc but still less than a grand for everything.

Have spent more acquiring more planes and parts - for the most part wasted my money buying other peoples junk but do have a step up trainer at the end of the day.

Went to a swap meet and refused to go home empty handed so bought a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth airframe. More plane than I can handle right now but I'm learning the hobby through construction - new covering material and techniques, reaearch to get as scale as possible, installation of electronics, etc.

Spent a lot of time on RCCanada - wealth of information. RC is a great community - have yet to meet anyone who won't take a minute to help you out.

RC can be expensive - look at the 3D, jets, large scale etc but I figure you spend what you got and dream about what could be.

2. Involvement
Responded to the post about getting young people involved, lots of good ideas there. I disagree with JohnnyS - flying is instant gratification - it's still a thrill and terror adrenalin rush for me! Love it!!! JohhnyS hits a bunch of ideas for involvement.

3. Clubs
I'm still learning to fly so a club is my only option for finding a quaolified instructor. The present climate of 'not in my backyard' precludes flying anywhere you want so having a reliable club airfield is great. I do have a friend who has full scale planes on his farm and will allow me to fly there but public parks, open spaces these days are off limits. Everybody is thinking liability.

Liability - liability - liability - someone will be after your a$$ if you crash and injury someone or damage something.
Having an advocacy group to present your side intelligently to governing bodies is an asset. Otherwise flying RC would be as regulated as full scale.
Respresentation to other bodies keeps us current with practices throughout the world and standardises participation in international events.

Thanks for your rant Jeremy - makes us all think, hopefully makes the hobby better.
MAAC 14842
Don't let the low number fool ya - just got back into flying after 30 yrs absence.

Last edited by scochrane; 03-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.
scochrane is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.