looking to buy a new radio for FPV - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Larry F.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0
Re: looking to buy a new radio for FPV

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I will try to get the max power ratings...think it is 100mw

First Person View Radio Guidelines
F.P.V. is a means of equipping an R.C. airplane or helicopter with on-board video and data equipment that can be transmitted back to the R.C. pilot on the ground. M.A.A.C. has safety guidelines in place in that a buddy box system must be used and the plane may never be flown out of sight.
Here are the basic radio guidelines and frequencies that may be used. The basic rule is not to use F.P.V. frequencies that are in the same band as you are using to control your flying equipment.
Equipment is available in the 900 MHZ band, the 1200 MHZ band, 2400 MHZ (2.4 GHZ) band and the 5.8 GHZ band. This radio equipment is non Spread Spectrum Technology and falls under Industry Canada’s R.S.S. 210 regulations for low power licence exempt users.
The following are the approved frequencies to use in Canada:
910 MHZ; 1280 MHZ; 2.410 GHZ; 2.430 GHZ; 5.645 GHZ; 5.665 GHZ; 5.685 GHZ; 5.705 GHZ.
There are presently other frequencies being sold in Canada. Until such time as we can apply to Industry Canada to use these other channels, please ensure you have one of the above listed channels.
Mark Betuzzi Radio Spectrum Chair October 12/2010
Larry Fitzpatrick MAAC #11286L
Temporarily grounded & Working on a cure.
spitrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Thank you for that info, I'll make sure when I purchase my vid Tx it has those freq options.
I'm not sure of power, I have heard of people useing 500-800mw
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by paladin View Post
I'm not looking for reasons not to FPV I'm looking for info on what's a good radio.
I would like my post to stay on topic, not trying to be an a** about it but I'm not looking for regulation opinions.
Well consider this, first and foremost, this forum is made up of people that LOVE Radio Control modeling. As such, we are protective of it. When it comes to somebody looking for advice on how to do something that could very effectively increase chances of major regulations on our hobby, we tend to get a little touchy about it.
As has been mentioned, FPV flying is only legal under MAAC as long as it's still line of site with another pilot on the master transmitter.

Once you cross that line, you are now flying a UAV and subject to Transport Canada regulations. These are now Federal laws and carry severe penalties. Imagine if you hit a full scale aircraft while flying FPV, all you can see is what your camera is showing, doesn't show you anywhere else. You are not fully aware of your surroundings nor do you have any method of monitoring any other air traffic.

Sure, these are all big what if's, but with our hobby under the microscope at any given time, you have to understand where the defensiveness comes from.
I understand you're not looking for regulation opinions, but the simple fact is, when somebody is going to do something that could put themselves, somebody else, or the hobby in jeopardy, you will get those opinions whether you like it or not.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Jeremy: You might remember our "friendly discussion" from a year or so ago. . . Just for the record (and I don't take myself too seriously), I agree with every word you said above. . . Hope all is going well you. . . Cheers - John Mickle and greetings from sunny Florida
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

Jeremy makes some good points, but my innitial post was just that MAAC will NOT cover you, weather it is illeagle or not is not for me to say, just letting you know that if you have an accident, you will be on the hook for any liability.

as for the u tube vidios, I hope that we all know better than to see somthing on u tube and think it must be ok, safe an leagle...have you SEEN some of the stupid crap on there....yikes!!! I think some people posting on there are front runners for the Darwin Awards!
Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Fair enough guys, I have no intension of cloud surfing.
Some of places people chose to fly are crazy, that's why I'm going in the middle of no where to practice first.
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Here is something else associated with this that could be a problem. The Canadian Air force in Ontario have a low level practice area that is around 30,000 square kilometers that runs north of hwy #7 near CFB Trenton. I have a map of this area. This area is mostly bush, trees and lakes and streams. On this map were 278 red circles, these were places for the pilots to avoid. They were various farms and instillations that the owner did not want them to fly over. This included angry people with firearms. Just one of the scenarios is a farmer wanting you to pay for 2 1/2 days of egg production because your UAV scared his chickens. Many of us has thought of doing what you want to do, but there are just too many speed bumps.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

There are a few threads on RCC about FPV. This one:

I found interesting as it described a complete set up including a long range Tx/Rx combination.
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.