Hmm, Electric vs Fuel vs Value vs Pride - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1
Exclamation Hmm, Electric vs Fuel vs Value vs Pride

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm not sure how to explain my feelings right now and I definitely do not want to offend anyone regarding electric powered aircraft VS fuel.
Since I started getting back into the hobby once again, I am seeing something that is frustrating to me. This is only my opinion! and I guess I'm talking more on a "value/pride" type of topic. (I'll get to that at the end!)

Planes-DF inparticular
Here's a case in point. You may have seen my posts about electric DF as I was thinking of converting a glow powered DF to electric. SO I have been researching the net these past few weeks thinking maybe there are some decent electric df out there and what I have found is this.
90% of the jets are small and made of some type of expanded foam of some sort....and are smaller unless you want to spend thousands on a BVM setup.
Like is there anyone out there that builds LARGER electric jets that don't break the bank? Maybe a finerglass fuselage with built up wings or something? I guess even the EP type....but LARGE. I'd even do a balsa kit if that was the case!

The smaller ones maybe be cost effective but that's it....they're smaller. Are there none of the Chinese manufacturers building larger ones? About the only one i saw for a 5" fan was the Red Arrow.....I think it was from Nitroplanes......???? And it stated glow but I'm sure could be converted. But then where do you get a 5" electric setup that's cost effective?
I see all types of smaller jets that come as a, plane, motor and fan combo. Thats great.. but they are small planes. Would be nice to see a George Miller T-38 size type combo in electric. Oh yeah!
Do a search on Ebay and tell me how many large electric DF stuff you find. Especially in a combo pack. (not that Ebay is the be-all-end-all mind you)
Hahaha...something else that really bothers me is this! Ok, so I watch a couple videos of a foam type jet buzzing along---ok it's kinda cool but nothing bugs me more than seeing a jet model with FIXED landing gear hanging out the bottom! ARGHHH! For some reason that really gets under my skin!
OK, I'm rambling now......

Literally TONS of small cheap stuff out there. Most of them look like toys to me! But with that being said, there seems to a lot more options to go larger in electric helicopters from overseas manufacturers. Do I buy 15 small cheap helicopters...or one beautiful large helicopter that I am proud to own and fly? Can i find a cost effective heli like that?
I realize there are lots of cost effective options out there which are a very good way to get started in the hobby but from what I see....everything is the 1 billiion 450 size T-rex and clones out there. HK seems to be cost effective solution as long as the machines perform ok I guess. Hopefully I'll find out myself soon...if the back ordered heli ever comes back in stock...."sigh" (But again...small heli)

Value and pride....
So I think...would I rather have an throw together cheap small foam ARF jet just to get me in the air? Or dig out my old Sport Shark, strip it down, refinish it, do all the necessary mods with blood sweat and tears to convert it to electric.... BUT be proud to see it take flight once again after all these years? Oh yeah, where do I find a "cost effective 5" fan solution" for this? Hmmmm......

Does any of this make any sense? I'm having trouble understanding it myself! LOL I've been awake for about 36 hours and the brain is in overload! LOL

Again...all of this is just stuff I was thinking about. Not meant offensive in any way.

Time for some sleep now....ZZZzzzZZZZzzzz
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Hmm, Electric vs Fuel vs Value vs Pride

Hi Myles.

There was a time when you could say with confidence that Nitro was cheaper than electric. But lately, as the price of electrics keeps dropping, they are IMHO less expensive to operate. But that is mainstream helis and aircraft I am talking about.

With regards to large EDF jets, I don't think they have come down in price as much as the mainstream aircraft and heli's have. While it can be done, you are paying a premium for large EDF hardware. Guys that have large EDF's will tell you the price of getting their EDF's in the air is comparable to a turbine-powered jet. Maybe someday the price of large EDF's will come down but it doesn't look that way at the moment.

You are right about your observations about cost-effective heli's. I am blown away at the value for dollar you can get for 450 class clones. Definitely a good way to start. But bear in mind that when you want to get into the high end 3d flying, the clone helis don't cut it. (but by then you already leaned to fly and put the crash-phase behind you.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ken Relkoff
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

A few of my observations on this subject.
I'm thinking it has a bit to do with volume in sales as well. Tons of 450 class helis sold , crashed and on to the next phase. Tons of small EDF planes sold to newbies or seasoned fliers looking for something cheap & fun. How many top end machines are sold as compared to the "fun" level products? I think most of us have a main interest and use the cheap, small products to mix it up a bit.

Those who want to take things to a better or the leading edge of performance, no matter what the discipline, will have to shell out many dollars. It's always been that way in my 45 yrs in the hobby. The off shore products has only made that entry level investment easier to live with.

JR 10X, 8103, Galaxy 8 - Spektrum DX7
Electric/Nitro Helis & Planes both indoor & out
micro to 33% scale
S1Pitts is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

You guys have some good points there
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.