View Poll Results: Throttle return spring leave or disconnect
Leave 17 37.78%
Disconnect 28 62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Throttle return spring poll

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've posted this in the main forum hoping for the maximum number of opinions. Hopefully it doesn't get moved. For those of you flying gas engines I'd like to hear opinions on removing or not removing the throttle return spring. I've read about this a bit here and on another forum and I'm still undecided. What does everyone think?
AbDriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Throttle return spring poll

In all my years of flying in RC, I have yet to have a throttle servo pack it in.

For the days when I was running gas engines, the butterfly valve was so smooth that it put zero load on the throttle servo. So why bother with a spring? Besides, wont the spring put a strain on the servo, forcing the servo to "fight" the spring load and perhaps cause it to fail prematurely?

I say "No spring"
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

The throttle arm spring serves 2 functions:

1) To return the throttle to idle or kill the engine if the linkage breaks or fails.

2) To minimize the butterfly shaft from vibrating back and forth inside the carb body.

Item #2 is much more important than item #1. If you completely remove the spring, your carb will eventually develop leaks around the area where the butterfly shaft meets the carb body. This is something that you can not fix and you generally have to replace the carb.

Also, you may find that your throttle may bounce or jump because without the spring, the butterfly can float a bit.

The trick is not to remove the spring, but to disconnect it from the throttle arm. You can either clip the very last piece of the spring that is touching the throttle arm, or use a small pair of needle nose pliers to bend the spring away from the arm. Once the spring is disconnected - you will find that the throttle moves without resistance, and that the butterfly shaft has very little room to move back and forth in the carb body.

It is best to disconnect the spring, because the spring can load the throttle servo and cause binding.

If you are concerned about killing the engine in an emergency, use an alternative method such as a Opto Kill switch or a servo on the choke that will give you the ability to kill the engine remotely.

Hope this helps,

Check out the Thunder Hangar Blog!!
grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the information so far. I guess I should have put the third option: disconnect without removing the spring. I've read a lot about that too. I have an electronic kill switch for it so I guess I can get away without the spring as third fail safe. I think I read somewhere about someone who was passionate that the spring be left as a mechanical fail safe. It's not something glow engines have though and we fly them safely.
AbDriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Dennis 9412
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

I agree with Jeff.

Leave the spring in, but disconnect it.

Dennis DuBois
MAAC 9412L
IMAC 3821
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

The throttle spring constantly fighting the servo will prematurely drain the battery and possibly cause the throttle servo to overheat and fail. that would mean "bye, bye" airplane. The throttle shaft wear would take several hundred hours and carb's are cheap aircraft are not.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8

I find the springs have to much tension in them to begin with, so I just unclip it and unwind it 3/4 of a turn and clip back on... The spring is still connected but has allot less tension (it will still go back to idle if the linkage breaks but it won't "SNAP" back)...
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: mike hocksinner
Radio of choice:
hitec a-9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

use silicone hair elastic. cheap, last a while. i lost my t linkage once and without the spring it would have been bad.
groo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Nev

Total Props: 3
Thumbs up Re: Throttle return spring poll

I say unclip the spring and leave it on. make sure it can not bind, bend the clip a little if you need to..I concur with Jeffs points.

As for failsafe, run an opto kill or my current preference an IBEC. And theory on
radio fail safe...only good if you loose signal and there is nothing wrong with your throttle servo ! I had a throttle servo fail OPEN, I used my IBEC to kill the ignition and landed. No spring could have forced the carb closed the servo totally locked up. I was using a JR821, I know of others doing the same without an issue...never again for me ! Now my choice is a HS7985MG or HS985MG...not for torque but decent centering, speed and robust gear train at 6v. If and when the metal gears wear I will worry about it then.
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I just unhook the little spring and leave it there, behind the throttle arm (so worrys about butterfly vibrating) and I use a TX operated Optical Kill Switch for safety (but have never needed it).

as for using the return spring for a fail safe, what do you use on a glow engine?

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.