What has changed? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: James B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
What has changed?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,
First post here and I think it is a whopper. I have bought and sold all of my RC airplane stuff 3 times now i think. The last time was in 2005 or 2006. Anyway, as I shop around for RC syuff yet once more, I am blown away by the changes in the hobby as far as Tx/Rx options. When I left, the PCM was the rage, and I was happy just flying my FM, but now I see FASST, 2.4, BNF, and Im left asking what should I buy? I picked up a Futaba PCM 6 but that is for a friend, and once I get my thumbs back in shape, I'll be helping him via a buddy cord. But I need to make sure the cord will work. Lots of confusion right now. What was the progression from FM to now? What will work as far as the buddy system is concerned?
Thanks for everything!
4speedfury is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: What has changed?

Welcome back, James.

Regarding your question, Forget 72MHZ. I dont think they are even manufacturing any new models in 72mhz anymore.

2.4 is the way to go. No more frequency pins, no more waiting for a channel or the "peg hog" to get off your channel.

2.4 is also international. I take my heli's and 2.4g radio to the UK and fly there no problem. I couldn't do that when I was using 72Mhz!

As far as radios go, all the big brands are very good. Stay away from the low tech manufacturers, for the money, you are better off paying just a few buck more and getting a reliable name brand than the unreliable knock-off's
  • JR/SPektrum's
  • Futaba's
  • Hitech
  • Airtronics

Seems like all manufacturers just came out with new models lately. The Spektrum DX8, the new Hitec Aurora, and JR's (I cant remember it's name.. )
The Futaba FASST system seems to be the most robust, but I have been flying with Spektrum's DSM2 format for the lat few years with nary a problem. Spektrum is also coming out with a new Frequency hopping radio that is also backwards compatible with DSM2, so you will be able to get the best of both worlds.

DSM2 that JR and Spektrum use is comparable with the Bind-N-Fly(BNF) models that are being sold. So if you want to buy any BNF planes or helis, you are going to have to use JR/Spektrum.

Another feature that I would say is something I would look for in a new radio is SD or USB compatibility. Having the option of downloading and saving your various models profiles on a back-up memory card is golden. I know the new JR and Spektrum radios have that. I am not sure about the other manufacturers at this time, though I am sure I (and you) can find this out with just a little bit of research

Whatever you do, my advice is to spend the money on the best radio you can afford. If you do, you will only need 1 and it will be good for all the models you will have and last several years.

Good luck!
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV

Last edited by Max; 04-19-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: James B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Sigh... That's alot. Well, here's the thing. There are no fields around us to fly at so I'm not worried about the peg hogs. I wouldn't fly at one anyway. Not dissing anyone who does, but I spent 5 years on the exec in our club and there was way too much "politics" for me. So if I was to buy a Futaba system with FASST, would I be able to connect a buddy cable between us and help him learn, or is the technology so different that the 2 Futabas can't talk anymore?

Last edited by 4speedfury; 04-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.
4speedfury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

The internal control system should be compatible, but contact Futaba with the model of the master and slave radios and hopefully they will be able to help you.

Other than many more programming features with the newer radios, (including servo speed, nice to have for flaps and such) most of the tech development seems to have gone into the transmission end of it. Part of the reason was the saturation of the 72MHz band, (tell me THAT isn't happening with 2.4!). That is where you will find the difference between your older and newer systems.

One of the "Technology Trickle Downs" from the higher end military comm systems was the ability to frequency hop, maintaining a link on any fixed frequency for so short a time before hopping to a new one no unauthorized external monitoring was likely. This is how the Futaba FASST system functions. The only way for it to work was for the Tx and Rx to have matching discreet frequency shift algorithms and Futaba got into a bit of a jam a while ago when they sold quite a few systems programmed with the factory test algorithm. The conflict could arise when two or more of these systems were working in the same area at the same time as they could all follow the same frequency shift patterns. They glommed onto that one pretty fast and made sure they should all now have their own discreet algorithms, (at least that's the theory).

Spectrum and their parent JR used a DSM2 system that picked a pair of unused frequencies in the 2.4 band to send data. "Binding" the receiver to the transmitter simply told it which freqs were used. Unfortunately too many of these operating at once and you could agan reach saturation and there be no frequencies left to work with. Very unlikely unless you are at an event where the sky is literally full of aircraft. I believe the newer DX7 actively searches the 2.4 band for unused freqs every time it's turned on. The DX7 also has what is called "Model Match" which prevents binding if you make an incorrect memory pick for your current craft, (eg, picking model #1, a plane, compared to model #5, a heli). Unless you select the proper model from memory nothing will happen.

Another bit of tech that seems to be gaining ground is the telemetry systems where you receive data back from the craft, such as battery voltage, etc. The Aurora 9 receivers also retain data for later analysis, but from what my friend told me while trying to debug a glitch on his first flight with it, don't seem to store it for long.

I still run 72MHz since our field is remote and private with very few conflicts. My other two friends I regularly fly with use the Spectrum DS2 and now the Aurora 9 systems, so no worries from me.

Personally I have stayed out of 2.4 since my now 10 year old 8UHPS transmitters hold 32 models and one is dedicated to nitro and the other electrics. If I had any complaint it was with the wimpy 600MAh stock battery since when in PCM mode it gobbled it down fast. The both now sport 2500MAh NiMH batts and carry me long past the time to pack up and go home.

The reason I used PCM was for the "Failsafe" capability. Not so bad except the older 1024 systems took a bit longer to relink if the connection was broken. I have since found an advantageous way around that with the Berg and Sombra Labs receivers. The Berg 7 in particular is much smaller, lighter and PC programmable with the failsafe feature as well. I have lost a couple of craft with PCM, (my own fault) and was able to avoid that late last year when I shut the Tx off by accident in cold weather, (reaching over for the elevator trim). Caught it in time and the Berg relinked within a second.

p.s. Forgot to mention the newer radios also seem to be more efficient in that they take less battery power to operate. Some now use or are compatible with LiPo packs.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!

Last edited by Cougar429; 04-19-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Evan R
Radio of choice:
The one that came with the plane :S
# of RCs: 2

The buddy box system is still alive and kicking my friend. I am pretty sure all the main stream radios have a cord hook up, but the slave controller must be the same as the master. (your radio should be the same as the apprentice )
Nothing like the smell of castor in the morning!!!!!

Super Sportster 40 MKII
Nexstar Select - Rebuild (covering job, convert to tail dragger)

P-47 Razorback
Harvard (AT-6)
(Undecided on a bipe, pitts? or hog? 60"-80" wingspan)
Gooseman240 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.