Learning is fun!!! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #21
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: Learning is fun!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Hi Tyler,

Some people are using Shoe Goo between the tail boom and the main frame to prevent it from slipping.

Put a small amount and it will still be removable easily.
That's a good thought, Michel. I hadn't thought of that. I'll see how my little mod goes and see if it holds and if it doesn't I'll hit up the Goop!

Hoping to get out on Sunday for a bit of flying. If the weather is good I'll go out to Arnprior RC Club and if it doesn't turn out to be a good weather day I'll stay closer to home at Ottawa RC Club.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
KV_Heli
RCC Apprentice

I am: JohnK

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P View Post
That's a good thought, Michel. I hadn't thought of that. I'll see how my little mod goes and see if it holds and if it doesn't I'll hit up the Goop!

Hoping to get out on Sunday for a bit of flying. If the weather is good I'll go out to Arnprior RC Club and if it doesn't turn out to be a good weather day I'll stay closer to home at Ottawa RC Club.
The good thing, Tyler, is that ARCC will get more FLYING heli guys. Hope to see you there Sunday. Good luck with your boom, but adjust it for weather. I have to do this quite often.
KV_Heli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV_Heli View Post
The good thing, Tyler, is that ARCC will get more FLYING heli guys. Hope to see you there Sunday. Good luck with your boom, but adjust it for weather. I have to do this quite often.
I'll definitely keep an eye on it from now on. I didn't realize that they could move so much just due to the temperatures.

If you've got a torque tube how does it work with that same problem? Can the boom shrink enough to cause gear mesh problems with the tail gears?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #24
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7

Total Props: 11

I suppose it would depend on the design. That said, the TT is usually made out of aluminum too, so it shrinks as well. I've never had a problem with the one on my Raven, but the design of that one allows for a bit of expansion or shrinkage as it uses a double dogbone sort of design.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey13 View Post
I suppose it would depend on the design. That said, the TT is usually made out of aluminum too, so it shrinks as well. I've never had a problem with the one on my Raven, but the design of that one allows for a bit of expansion or shrinkage as it uses a double dogbone sort of design.
Dogbone setup makes sense if there is going to be a possibility of any movement with a gear setup. Good design on that!

I was hoping to get out tomorrow for some flying but the weather is looking crappy. 25km winds don't lend itself to flying helis or planes with any fun-factor involved. I'll think I'll hibernate with the sim.

Edit: Winds are now forecast to be 30km+. Yep, staying home for sure.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #26
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Logged 5 flights on my 500 today! It was a gorgeous day for flying here so I got in a bit of practice. Nothing spectacular but I was working a little bit on doing slow arcs to inverted and then back again and doing some more IMAC-like maneuvers.

I'm at the stage where I'm pretty comfortable in all orientations of hovering and have started practicing slow pirouettes. Oddly enough, it's very similar to doing torque-rolls while hovering an airplane. Same kind of inputs on the cyclic to keep it centered. I thought that was kind of neat!

Forward flight is also pretty comfortable except when I fly too far away. Even with the 500 it gets small pretty fast. A nice 600 or 700 would definitely help. I'm thinking about adding some florescent trim strips so I can see it a bit better at a further distance.

Next on the learning curve is to practice on the sim a bunch more and get comfortable with backwards and inverted circuits. Forward doesn't bother me at all because it's more like a plane when you're used to the collective input, but backwards is a bit scary. Once I get the mCPx back in the air I'll combine my sim time with some actual stick time on the micro so I can get a good handle on backwards/inverted before trying it out on the 500.

That's my update for now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in