Wow, cheap parts really bring my old XXT back to life! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Wow, cheap parts really bring my old XXT back to life!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A couple guys I work with picked up newer traxxas cars, so it motivated me to dig my XXT out of the basement and get it running again.

I had a pile of 1700mah nicads from when I raced it (back in like 95-97), and a 19d brushed motor. It wasn't as fast as I remembered it being, and it was WAY slower than the traxxas VXL cars (bandit and stampede) I was running against in parking lot bashing.

I took a chance and ordered this motor/esc combo:

as well as a pair of 2s5000mah hardcase Turnigy packs.

The motor/esc showed up first, so I charged up an old pack to see how much it improved it. It definitely got more run time, and was a bit faster... but wasn't what I hoped for.

Fast forward a couple days to the lipos showing up. WOW! Talk about a power difference. I didn't realize just how dead the old nicads were until I saw the difference. I'm sure a fresh nicad or nimh would be much better than the old tired packs, but with the price on HK lipos they're too good to pass up.

Now it'll wheelie if it gets grip, but most of the time it will just spin the tires on clean pavement. Better yet, the run time is awesome. I had it out blasting around at WOT for at least 10 minutes, and only took about 1500mah out of the pack.

All components came in cold too, I bet I could gear up a bit for more speed but it's already pretty nutty as is! I'll have to see if I can find a radar gun, but i would estimate it in the high 40's.

I'll see if I can get some video of it over the weekend too!
Pico Tiger Moth | Formosa | PZ Extra 300 | Sbach AS3X | UMX Habu | um P51 | UMX AS3Xtra | mCPX | Phantom 3 Pro | Blade nano qx FPV | Indy 250 FPV Racer | XXT | 22T | TT-01D M3
wparsons is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
I am: Chris W
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Re: Wow, cheap parts really bring my old XXT back to life!

Nice! Lots of people I see running stuff from, spending very little money... and seem just as pleased with their cheaper electronics. Glad to see you are having the same luck!
eurofocus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.