FlyFly/TG Sabre Video on a Beautiful Easter Weekend Video - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Michael in Toronto
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael R

Total Props: 9
Re: FlyFly/TG Sabre Video on a Beautiful Easter Weekend Video

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Bob Byrnes View Post
Michael: How bad is the damage to the rest of the aiframe?
Thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you.

The half-wing that broke off is perfect. It floated and flipped down nice and slowly.

The rest of the plane spiraled down fast. The only thing I could do was throttle down and hope to protect the fan.

The rest of the airframe, and the 6S-batteries, are smashed and twisted beyond repair.

The fan/motor/ESC survived fine. They have just been transplanted into my FlyFly Mirage, which was flying OK on 5 cells.

The real sad part is that the F86 was flying so nicely.
Michael in Toronto
E-Flyer since 1981
MAAC 29650L, TEMAC 1
MAAC Deputy Zone Director L
Michael in Toronto is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #22
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

Got my Sabre back in the air last Friday. The 8 cell set-up added some speed. It is still not a rocket ship but, the vertical is much much better. I still throw to launch and land on the wing tanks, but, 4 stripes and Jagzilla have demonstrated that retracts can be made to work. I may give it a try on my next one. I have the HET F-18 with the HET retracts to get started on, but that of course is not a foamie and a different kettle of fish as far as retract installation goes. I think for this summer I'll just play with the stuff I have and then decide whether or not it's worth it to spend the extra money for a truly high performance plane and set-up. The price tag certainly leaps when you go over the 90 mm size fans and I'm not sure there is a great deal of real difference in the experience. They all go zoom across the sky and then zoom in the other direction. I'm really debating with myself if the extra speed is worth the bigger bucks. Michael in Toronto, we should hook up and go fly our jets, you are welcome at the Whitby club. I live in the very east end near Beechgrove and Lawrence. Do you fly at the Toronto club field or are you a TEMAC member? I was considering joining TEMAC, but, it's really no closer to where I live than the Whitby field. Everything I have heard says the TEMAC group is a great bunch of guys and I guess belonging to two clubs would give me options. I am still new to electrics, but, am enjoying them a lot. Anyway, Best Regards to all you EDF junkies.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #23
RCC Contributor
I am: Jag Zilla

Total Props: 0

Sounds good on the 8 cell step-up Bob. I'll be trying 8 cell myself later on in the season. Right now my flying club is under water, as the Fraser River has flooded over into where our club is. We're done till sometime in July
As far as retracts goes, they are certainly do-able on some types of jets ( in grass runway situations). As the F-86 lands so trainer like, it is a great airframe for retracts. I recently picked up one of the Erc/Freewing 90mm Eurofighters with the electric retracts and it has been doing fine as well. The whole retract thing is only getting better these days.
Best of luck with yours Bob
Jagzilla is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.