RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: battery question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I strongly believe somewhere in the previous posts there is the solution to your dilema, (your own admission the battery could have moved makes me wonder how well it was packed in there). If not, there could be a couple of other suspects.

You did not mention the age of the model or gear. If the model had a battery plugged into it for a few years prior to even this new pack or if the switch was used and a few years old you can get into what is called "Black Wire Disease". Externally the conductors look fine, but if you peel back the insulation the current carrying wire element itself will be black and/or corroded. In the most extreme cases the conductor will be nothing but powder, (my first car was a Vauxhall that was notorious for this one). It will not be limited to the battery side of the switch since many only break the positive half of the pair and the negative will be common all the way through. Depending on the environment regular long term corrosion or degradation of the contacts within the switch will affect the connection

My friend has bought a few models online over the last few years.....and lost some of them due to this before he finally believed me and checked it. What was a bit difficult to convey was the possibility the switch would show voltage at both ends, but the problems occur in their current carrying capability. It was worth the expense to invest in at least a new switch assy.

Another possibility is a weak connection within a plug pair. I have seen huge differences in fit and connection quality between different makes of the universal "J" type gear. Your new battery may not have had a good contact with the opposite plug. One way to test is to pull on each conductor, the opposite matching conductor should at least wiggle with it. There is enough room in most plugs to test this. Pulling the connectors apart should also take some effort. If they literally fall apart and require some form of connector safety system or taping then that slop can cause wear from vibes and eventual failure.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: battery question

i bought a u can do 3d too kit but this time i've got two 2700 6v packs same servos as i was running in the twist
bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.