Swash Mix - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12
Manitoba Swash Mix

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I looked at the swash mix numbers. they were -70 -70 and +75. After following Sokal on you tube to set up the blade 400 I made them +65 +65 and -75 to see if I noticed a differance. I did not.

Can someone explain what the swash mix does and what will changing the values do?
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Swash Mix

Without knowing what initiated this thread I am guessing those values you posted are for the AIL, ELE and PIT values. So basically I will work with what I know.

Swash mix takes on two functions.

First off is how the swash follows cyclic ELEVATOR and AILERON commands on the right stick and should be functions of tilt only. I imagine the first of the two values are what you have set for how much they tilt with full stick.

You can also have EXPO set to make the stick more or less sensitive around center. What this does is alter the servo movement curve near the center where most of your stick use should occur to tailor how much the servos move. Regardless if they move more or less depending on the positive or negative expo, the closer you move towards full stick deflection the less the alteration, till full stick has no change from no expo at all.

If the cyclic moves up and down on the mainshaft, even slightly, then something in your linkage geometry or servo travel values is off, but for gross settings you do not have to worry about a slight amount.

The second function with swash mix is how the swash follows your collective command, or basically how the swash follows the throttle stick. Lets leave expo or curves out for now and stay with straight linear programming. What you should have is the swash at the bottom with min throttle, (with no contact with full cyclic movement) and full upper limit, (washout slider up against the bottom of the head center piece). That last value should be for PITCH, which would control the sweep range.

With PITCH you can alter the curve and values with the throttle/pitch curve relationship, or how each step in throttle movement relates to power level and blade pitch. This is where care should be taken as an incorrect setting can have the motor light off, even with full down throttle. Personally I try to achieve liftoff at 60-65% throttle and from there maintain motor and RPM through any subsequent power changes.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!

Last edited by Cougar429; 04-26-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 3
Re: Swash Mix

Just for frame of reference, change your 65 values to 25 and visually observe (do not fly), what the swash does when you move the aileron and elevator. This will give you an idea of how this affects things.

Don't forget to change the values back before flying again.

Hope this helps,
Hespeler Model Aviators

This is my helicopter. There are many like it but, this one is mine.
MarkToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.