OPS P-30 engine starting problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Paul P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 2
OPS P-30 engine starting problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have had an OPS P-30 engine in storage for ages and last summer I decided to convert it to Gasoline and get it running. I machined a new head button to the same dimensions as the original and tapped it for a 10mm plug (NGK 7) bought an electronic ignition system which is timed to fire at 28 degree BTDC. Compression is excellent, I only wish my other gas engine had compression like this one.

Usually I mount gassers inverted on the plane but I mounted this one vertical on the test stand (ease of setting things up and was too lazy to reset the plumbing etc.).

After a lot of arm flipping it got enough fire to keep it running and I got the Delorto carb set-up to run on gasoline. It was originally set to run on alcohol.

Once I got it running it stayed running and would hold whatever throttle setting I gave it and would pull from idle to full throttle without hesitation. RPM was good for the prop I was using and it ran with in 300 rpm of what I used to get on my Quadra 42. It has had a couple of liters of fuel through it.

My only problem is getting it to start when the engine is cold. Hot starting is reasonably easy.

Other than getting the plug really wet and cranking hard, what is the secret to getting a good cold start?
paulbipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Re: OPS P-30 engine starting problems

I remember the large OPS engines. Had the Maxi 60 twin.

My experience says that different engines even from the same manufacturer frequently tend to have different starting habits.

Naturally, when people start to do various modifications and conversions, they become their own test pilots. Not much fun though I will admit when you've just about worn out your arm and the engine still refuses to start. Had a Quadra like that once.

Could it be that since the OPS Maxi 30 carb was designed to run on glow, that you may have or will need to address the possibility that the rubber materials in the carb are incompatible with gasoline? They came from an age when mix and match was not the order of the day.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Paul P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 2
Re: OPS P-30 engine starting problems

I took the carb apart yesterday to check the diaphragms and all was in good order. The diaphragms were soft and flexible. The float valve tip was soft and sealed well. Since it had been stored "wet" over the winter I think I can safely assume the seals are compatible with gasoline.

Put in some gas and used a starter to get it running. It appears that I was not getting the plug wet enough to get it going. Once I got that sorted out I managed to get some time on the engine and it is becoming to get easier to get going the more fuel I get through it.

Not sure how it compares with other 30cc engines around but I am getting 8000 rpm on an 18x8 prop.

The next part of the process is to run it some more and get the carb tuned in a bit better as it is on a 4 cycle burble in the mid-range. After that I plan on playing around with the ignition timing to see if that makes any difference. It is currently set at 28 degrees BTDC.
paulbipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

engine , problem , starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.