Puffy Lipo Question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Matt S

Total Props: 0
Puffy Lipo Question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just picked up a used 2wd slash and was playing with it over the weekend. With one of the lipos I ran it too long and drained all the power out of the battery. I was going to charge it today and see if I killed it or not, then I noticed that it was a little puffy compared to my 2 other lipos (same size & brand) I honestly did not notice if it was like that before I started running it or not. My first instinct after reading up is that I should just junk the battery and get another one, but I am not sure if a puffy battery is a puffy battery no matter how little it may be puffed.
I am new to electric and have been playing with nitro for the longest time so I am not 100% sure what I should do with it or if I should try charging it (I would charge it outside on my paved path in a fireproof bag that I have of course).
I'm looking for opinions from seasoned guys on what they would do.
RNUOVR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
Re: Puffy Lipo Question

I had a turnigy 5000 20C I was running in my one blitz, after 10 runs/charges I noticed it was puffy in the hard case. I took the case apart and poked a hole in the puffy cell with a stick pin (making sure I never touched the lipo inside) and glued the hole shut with CA (seen a few people do this on RCU) and used it about 10 more runs till I saw that the run times was getting low after a balance charge. I watched it charge one day and seen that it was only getting 2600mah in the one cell so I took it apart and disposed of the bad cell in salt water and threw it out.
Oh... yeah If you run a lipo on a non lipo esc I would suggest going back to nimh or getting a lipo cut off alarm so you know when to stop running, ruined a $130 trackpower gold 4900 that way .
If you're planning on way-overpowering your plane and "flying like a maniac", you might consider gluing the tail feathers down to avoid flutter.
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

In my opinion, a puffed LiPo battery is very near it's useful life! Normally, I would cut off the leads, one lead at a time, so as to keep the leads from shorting, put a piece of electrical tape around the cut leads, and dispose of the battery safely. Most retail stores now have drop off stations for used batteries!

Buying a new battery is much safer and more cost effective than trying to bring a puffed battery to life! It just takes one fire...

Also, a LiPo cut-off, built-in or otherwise, is an excellent idea! To be safe, I set my cut-off to 3.4v per cell.

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance... www.ballroomdancelessons.ca
All for One, One for All... www.scarboroughfencing.on.ca

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Matt S

Total Props: 0

I'm actually planning on picking up 2 new batteries tonight. I am looking at swapping to an esc that have a LVC built in or if not getting a standalone LVC (looking at the novak unit). I'm sure the battery is toast as I've narrowed it down to the puffing coming from the battery being completely drained. Lesson learned
RNUOVR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

You can soak the leads with the connector on in salt water for a couple days. This will ensure that it's fully discharged...it can then be safely put in a dumpster. Many fire halls will take them too.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.