jets and gyros - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
jets and gyros

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering what kind of gyros you guys are using on the n/g function of your jets, if any.

I've been using the JR500A's and they work great in the nose of the jet as long as Aux2 is available for gain control. Without Aux2 available (which is my issue now) due to crow mixing and all the rest, the gyro is not adjustable. I've tried a simple rate gyro from Futaba but it will not respond to lateral movement in the nose like the JR 500A, it appears only to respond to an application directly on the pivot point like on a heli.

I'm not new to any of this by a long stretch, but kind of at a standstill on the gyro thing. So, what is working for the rest of you out there?

Your input is appreciated.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Steve N.

Total Props: 3
Re: jets and gyros

Originally Posted by reo View Post
I'm not new to any of this by a long stretch, but kind of at a standstill on the gyro thing.
Hehehe. Actually Ron,,, you're dating yourself. No one uses gyros any more. Kind of like that pointy thing that used to hang out of your radio.

Just kidding Ron,,, mainly cuz I haven't had the opportunity for a while. I know some guys are using them, but not me, so I can't help you out. I simply mix the nose wheel with the rudder and use expo and nose wheel throw to my liking. I have a seperate trim function for the nose heel on a knob.
So many planes,,, so little time
Steve N. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff Daly
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Howdy Ron,

Like you, I use gyros on my jets for nose wheel steering. In my Bandit, I'm using an old JR G460T that also has a receiver gain control. But, I ran out of channels when I switched to the Spectrum 9 channel 2.4 Ghz rx years ago. The good news I found was that the JR defaults to 100% gain when the gain control is not plugged in. I've consistently used it like that for the last three years. My set up has 125% mix (rudder to steering), 50% steering throw, and 65% expo set on rudder, and the gyro is only in the steering circuit (not rudder).

For my T-33, I couldn't find a JR500A like you have so I bought a Futaba GY240 that has manual gain control. I set it at max gain and throw because it is less senstive than the JR, but works well for nose wheel stabilization. It saved my T-33 after it decided on its own to try a side-ways skid during hard braking after touchdown, but the gyro straightened out the plane enough to prevent it from slamming into the pilot's stands at the edge of the runway (at Florida Jets).

Hope this helps.

Jeff Daly
MAAC 23523
JDJetJock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8

Run a Y harness from the retract channel.
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: mike hocksinner
Radio of choice:
hitec a-9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

Has anyone used gyros with a jet for high alpha stabilization?
groo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
dx18 all the way

Total Props: 8
British Columbia Re: jets and gyros

Ron have you tried plugging in to any free channel and setting up a mix with flight modes to adjust gain ? On a heli u plug into aux 3 and adjust with a flight mode switch
Maac 18218-L ,
Ridge Flyers,MAAC Jet Committee
2 ltr club Founder
Sebart Blanik 3.2m,Mythos 125e SAB GOBLIN URUKAY,MA XLPRO2K
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks for the input, gentlemen....and Steve too! lol
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Can't honestly say I've ever had a Gyro in a jet. First jet was a Kangaroo, didn't find a need for it even when others said that a Roo needed one.
Exocet certainly didn't need one, Kingcat, Bandit, Raptor, none of those needed them. I've even flown successfully 2 bobcat's without gyro's and never really noticed the need for them either.
Only jet I ever had that could have used one was my ducted fan A4 but I doubt gyro's would have helped on those wobbly little wire legs!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor

Years ago when we started flying the kangaroos Dean Wichmann advised that gyros on a kangaroo are NOT optional....that was good advice well heeded and it has saved airframes. I agree though that most airframes today don't need gyros but if I have one laying around that will do the job I'll use it if I can.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 10

Hi Ron

I have had good success in the past years with the cheaper piezo gyros with a single gain on the body of the gyro. They are hard to find now as gyros have all gone even smaller with remote gain features. A pain when you are short of channels! I have an old Futaba 502 that I am using in the Tutor - it has a separate control unit that negates having to use a separate gain channel. Check the RunRyder heli site for some used Futaba gyros. Sometimes there are some great deals. I have also used the Futaba 601 which is also easy to set up and has very little drift / temp issues. As Jeff says there are the new Futaba A gyros available but it seems that everyone is sold out at the moment.

As for gyro use, we are a few years behind in North America compared to the Europeans when it comes to their use. The new Fuzzy gyros are being used on roll / pitch and yaw with very good effect. It does not take away from the actual flying of the aircraft - what it does is makes the aircraft fly rock solid in all wind conditions. No more aileron rocking on deltas or tail wiggles on Sabres / Tutors. That is the reason I have put a gyro on my Comp Arf Tutor. The high T tail results in some tail wiggling in gusty wind conditions. Personally, if the jet can benefit from a gyro then I use one. Some designs ( narrow geared / high thrust lines / high center of gravity ) are just more challenging to take off and a gyro will react instantly in helping keep the jet rolling straight. I am hoping to get a lot more information on electronic stablization devices at the JWM in July. When I get back, I'll do up a brief overview on this site that hopefully will be of some benefit in making our jet flying all the more enjoyable.
Its no longer a hobby after 40 years....gulp!
Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.