My first truck - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Scot L

Total Props: 0
My first truck

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,

I bought my first R/C truck on the weekend. Up until now, I've only done electric planes.

I bought a Summit 1/10 and I'm wondering if there are any modifications I should make right off? For example, are people changing the suspension at all? Are there any parts that are prone to breaking that I should get some spares of?

I notice the wheels seem to have quite a bit of wobble. Is there anything that can be done to fix that? I'm going to want a smooth ride as I plan on kiting this up for FPV, like my planes.

MaxGen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
Re: My first truck

The Summit is a pretty amasing unit. It is built fairly robust and should withstand most normal wear and tear with little down time. Using common sence while running your truck is likely better than any modification you can add on to increase durability. I am often surprised at how so many people will abuse their trucks until components start breaking and then bad mouth the brand as being a P.O.S.
Visit the Traxxas web site and check out the Summit forum. There is a ton of information there about the Summit, what add ons work, which ones don't. It's been a wealth of information for me as my Summit was also my first venture into RC trucks and I am loving every minute of it.
Tire wobble after first unpacking the truck, or after sitting for an extended period is a common complaint. Flat spots will form on the tires due to the soft rubber compound and inner foam. This will go away after driving it for a few minutes. High speed running, especially while running lipos will cause the tires to deform and wobble. Reduce the speed a bit and all is well.
I don't think any parts are prone to breaking often, but keeping a spare set of axles and drive shafts on hand is a good idea. They are cheap to buy and keep in the work shop. I have only broken one drive shaft in the year I had my Summit and that was due to a full power landing after a small jump. My mistake, no fault of the truck.
2s lipos and a Novak 2s LVC is a great set up for this truck. Much better than the stock batteries.
A Dewalt 14.4v motor upgrade after the Titan 775 wears out is a common upgrade as well. I just purchased my new Dewalt and will install it once my Titan no longer works.
Keep it clean. Rince the grime with a garden hose, dry it off with compressed air or let drip dry in the sun. Give it a liberal bath of WD 40, and blow down with compressed air.
Keep it serviced and it will treat you well.
Enjoy your truck,

Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Secra C

Total Props: 1

One of your first purchases should be the RPM bumper mounts. The stock ones are weak and break easily. Install the RPM mounts and you can use the bumper as a carry-handle.

The rest of the truck is solid.
Racing, bashing, breaking, repairing, upgrading - its all fun. Paying for it - that's NOT fun.
JatoBoy666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Scot L

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the info guys. My Son and I have had a great time playing with the Summit. It's proving to be quite durable. I really like it.

I ordered some bumper mounts from HobbyHobby. I'll probably need them eventually...

MaxGen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.