Cutting CA hinge locations (and CA hinges) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Cutting CA hinge locations (and CA hinges)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm very slowly working on an Alien Aircraft Dragon Seaplane. In putting together the tail/rudder, the plans show where to set the hinges, but calls for taking a regular CA hinge and cutting it into 1/8" strips. The tail/rudder uses 3 of these strips- so I have 2 questions:

1) My Slot Machine makes hinge slots for full-size hinges- is it a problem to use that anyhow, and just locate the hinges where they are supposed to be?

2) 1/8" hinges seem pretty small for a model this size (to an amateur, anyhow)- any thoughts on how performance might be affected if I use full-size hinges, or even double up the width to 1/4"?

The tail/rudder for this model is about 5/16" thick balsa, with the rudder being about 7 1/2" inches top to bottom, before adding Monokote (or its equivalent).
HBZ Super Cub, PZ T-28 Micro Trojan, Blade 120 SR
Alien Aircraft Dragon Seaplane - in build
HK-450 Pro GT - in build
Seagull Models Decathlon .40 ARF
MarkCrowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Nev

Total Props: 3
Re: Cutting CA hinge locations (and CA hinges)

One of the best ways I ever found to do good job of CA hinges......

I would not use a slotting tool for CA hinges the hinge needs to be a tight fit and let the THIN ca wick down a hole in the middle as per link above.

As for number of hinges adding a few extra if you feel the need will not impact weight and if done properly will not matter to the surface motion. It will give you peace of mind.

Last edited by Nev; 05-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Tom B
Radio of choice:
DX8 TT650
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1

The way I do it is mark centre line of the trailing edge. Use an Xacto nife to slowly cut the slot or you can go to your LHS >Find small saw blades for Xacto and cut your slots with that. I believe the blade is # 13. Tom The blades are ZONA #13 micro saw blades.

Last edited by f4u; 05-11-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: New Info
f4u is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

You can buy the thinner blades built for the slot machine that are designed for use on CA hinges. I ordered mine with it. Been using it for 3 years on several builds, and never an issue or one coming loose. They are actually quite tight to go in when you use only 1 pass with the machine.
Lots of the exacto blades are thicker than the CA hinge, so you may end up making a bigger hole than needed. Just take you time with a thin blade. for the blades designed for CA hinges.

Last edited by Xanadu; 05-11-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added link
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.