Yet another newb - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 3
Re: Yet another newb

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by DocEyes View Post

I just turned 40, so I'm late to this game but hey! Boys never outgrow toys right! They just get more expensive

Great community everyone. This is great.

Welcome to the forum.

I turned 45 today (EMT gifts welcome if you haven't already sent something in the mail), and this is my 3rd season flying helicopters so, it's not/never too late.

It's a great mental challenge for our aging gray matter.

As stated above, bigger is better in my opinion as well - you will get all sorts of advice but I do think it's smart to go in with the goal of buying things once and not cutting corners or cheaping (is that a word?) out at first only to have to re-purchase better product later on.

Have fun,
Hespeler Model Aviators

This is my helicopter. There are many like it but, this one is mine.
MarkToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Originally Posted by MarkToo View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I turned 45 today (EMT gifts welcome if you haven't already sent something in the mail), and this is my 3rd season flying helicopters so, it's not/never too late.

It's a great mental challenge for our aging gray matter.

As stated above, bigger is better in my opinion as well - you will get all sorts of advice but I do think it's smart to go in with the goal of buying things once and not cutting corners or cheaping (is that a word?) out at first only to have to re-purchase better product later on.

Have fun,
Hey Mark Happy Birthday Dude many more.
Hi Jack
To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Joel M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 1

The advice to get something that parts are readily available is great. I started out with an MX400. I am so glad that modern CCPM helicopters are so much better. I feel that anything smaller than the 450 is for indoor use only. If you have the cash and only have access to outdoor flying sites a 450 with good radio such as the DX7 will allow a person to get started for a reasonable amount. Clone 450's with everything can be set up for a few hundred. If you have the $700 - $1000 and a place to fly nitro go with the Raptor 30. I have 11 helicopters and the ones I use the most are the Raptor, Kinetic and the Sceadu .30. The Raptor is easy to fly easy to maintain and cheap to run. My boys fly the indoor helicopters because I just can not be bothered. With your new heli get whatever sim works best for your computer. You can train on the sim and also work with the real thing. It will save its value in one crash even on a 450. I also read the Model Airplane News book, 'Model Helicopters' by Paul Tredalius and that is very helpful as well. A working knowledge of helicopter aerodynamics is essential if you wish to go beyond the toy stage. Hope this helps.
jmcintosh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Originally Posted by DocEyes View Post
Hi all!

Greetings from Niagara Falls. I stumbled upon this site as I try and navigate through (read as stumble and trip) the world of rc helicopters.

Long story short, we got our young son a very simple and inexpensive rc helicopter. After about five minutes I was hooked Having never tried any type of rc aircraft I was loving it. I can hover it and move it around the room pretty good and can usually avoid major collisions with walls etc.

Anyway, now I want to jump right in! My problem is, the more I research and read the more confused and unsure I get on what model I should buy. From what I've read and from the little bit of advice from a rc vendor I got, I'm looking at two ends of the spectrum. I've read many forums where newbs have been told a larger model like a TRex 450 is good (but expensive). Although intimidating due to size, it's more stable. The rc vendor suggested a Blade sr RTF....but I've read it's actually not as stable out of the box as it's claimed to be. I know these are two very different machines and at opposite ends of the dollar spectrum in every sense. I've even read a few posts by experienced rc pilots that recommended not even buying a heli, but rather a good sim. Learn on that, then buy something.

At this point all I know is I'm really excited about jumping right in. I'm not afraid to spend the money but I know i shouldn't be foolish either.

I would love to hear some opinions from you folks who have been doing this for a while and even from other newbies to see where their journey began.

I appreciate any input greatly.

By the way. I did google search for a local club, which we do have. Unfortunately it looks like it's pretty much a fixed wing group. I'm prepared to do this by myself if I have to and lean on the resources of this group and some other good sources I seem to have found like Radds flying school.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Jason. Welcome to RCC and wonderful world of helicopters.

There are already some good pointers here, but I would also like to add my 2C

First- the radio. Buy the best radio you can buy. For me, I like JR/Spektrum, so I always recommend the DX7 or DX8. A good radio will last you years and willl be able to fly several models from just one radio. Also, a good radio is easier to set up for heli use and will also fly the heli better.

Second; For guys getting into helis today, I recommend an electric heli to start with. They are so simple. Just plug and fly. Thats it! You never have to worry about starter motors, starter motor battery, glow plug drivers, fuel and fuel pumps....etc etc.

Third: based on the economics of RC helis, I recommend a 450 electric heli to start off. They are very good and smooth fliers. They are economical to buy and operate, batteries are relatively inexpensive and most importantly, economical to repair. If you get a 450 clone like the Hobby King 450, all up and flying is about 100-150 bucks (provided you already have a radio - see my "first" remark.). If you want some assistance getting some of this bit of kit together, PM me and I would be glad to help you out.

I am a strong advocate of using a flight stabiliser for learning to fly. The flymentor is the most economical for about $70, but it makes a world of difference when learning to fly. I use it with my kids heli, and several of my students have these. They really work. Once you gain some confidence and can fly reasonably well, the sensitivity of the flymentor can be slowly reduced until eventually you are flying the helicopter without its assistance. Setting these up right is the only down-side. If you are new to helis, you will not be able to do this yourself. See my next comment....

Fifth: the only downside of RC helis is the learning curve. If you dont know A from B, you will be very frustrated. The key to success in learning to fly RC helis to go pick someones brain, especially if you can do it in person. Having someone set up your heli THE RIGHT WAY for a novice makes a world of difference. I see too many guys trying to learn to fly with a CRAP setup, and they wonder why it is impossible to fly. As an instructor, even I find these bad set-ups hard to fly. Imagine how hard it is for a student? Fin someone nearby to help you out. It makes a BIG difference.

RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.