ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Question Final NTSB decision

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I guess the results were obvious...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._204696-1.html
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Re: Final NTSB decision

Ya, I remember that video. I thought it was totally stupid the way the show was organized, just asking for trouble. The flight zones should have been far more separated.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Interesting.
When this was a hot topic and after all that speculating (incuding some replies on another forum from the RC Pilot or maybe his spotter?) NO-ONE ever mentioned a defined flight area for the models, for what we now know as an "RC BOX"
Quote:
The NTSB said the model was getting out of a vertical prop thrust hover when it strayed over the active runway and outside the RC box,
I wonder why this was never mentioned before..... (I think I now know why...C.Y.A!!!!)

Same with this little tidbit of info:
Quote:
The report says the organizer of the event briefed the RC pilots before the show and warned them to stay east of the active runway
So now we know the RC pilots were told to fly in a defined RC box AND TOLD to stay east of the active runway.....

Of which neither was complied with....

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Ira d
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ira J

Total Props: 0

IMO the full scale was the most at fault because as I understand it he was in radio
contact with the airboss on the ground and had been told there was a model in
the air. The fullscale pilot then said he was going around but instead made a low
hi speed pass. I think one thing learned from this is that if you are going to fly a
model at a full scale air show you had better be sure the people running the show
or reputable folks. I have been to many airshows where models and full scales perform
with no problems at all. In this case however I think the full scale pilot and the
air boss got togather and threw the rc guy under the bus.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5

I think in all seriousness the full scale pilot uttered those famous last words " Honey, Watch this".
dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira d View Post
IMO the full scale was the most at fault because as I understand it he was in radio
the air. The fullscale pilot then said he was going around but instead made a low
hi speed pass. I think one thing learned from this is that if you are going to fly a
model at a full scale air show you had better be sure the people running the show
or reputable folks. I have been to many airshows where models and full scales perform
with no problems at all. In this case however I think the full scale pilot and the
?? Really??? Are you sure you got your facts right? You know this for sure?

If so, I would suggest you call the NTSB and tell them these facts, since they must have overlooked it when they did their investigation and published the official NTSB report.

Regardless, there was a defined "Flyzone" for full size aircraft and one for models. It would make sense from a safety perspective to keep these zones separated with some sort of buffer. (which from the NTSB report, the organizers did )

The NTSB report stated the fact that there was 2 zones and models were not supposed to stray into the active runway. The pilot of the full size plane was in the zone prescribed to him. The model pilot was not. Plain and simple.

We drive our cars in the same fashion. A yellow line separates traffic going in one direction from the other. YOU MUST NEVER CROSS THAT LINE. A guy going in the other direction can be driving with one hand on the wheel, two hands on the wheel , or even with one finger up his nose, for all you care. If you cross the centerline and crash into a car coming the other way, you cant say that it's the other guys fault because he didn't have both hands on the wheel. You cross the line, its your fault.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
al_voisine
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Al Voisine
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Max

Big ++ on your post!!

Al
T-Rex 550 V2 - HC3-SX
al_voisine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Ira d
RCC Apprentice

Why would I call the NTSB I was not involved I am just going by what I read. Also I am
sure the NTSB has already heard from all parties involved.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #9

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira d View Post
I think you will find that any man carrying aircraft retains the right of way over a remotely piloted one. A prime example of why we in Canada have been limited flying at full size events.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Ira d
RCC Apprentice

That would depend on your definition of right of way, But the fact is if a remote piloted
air craft has been cleared to be in a set air space and one with a board pilot enters
the air space with out clearence knowing the rc is there and colildes with it the pilot
could very well be in big trouble. It is kind of like when the police are running code
three the law says they have the right of way, yet they still have to stop at red
lights and only precede when safe, If they dont and there is a collison they could be
libel. The fact is there is no such thing as absolute allways in every case right of way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in