Aircraft Carrier for F4U - Pics added - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 06-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Stuart O
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
Elec Aircraft Carrier for F4U - Pics added

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So my lovely wife surprised me last night with an early Father's Day gift. Yup, that's why I'm here in this thread - PZ's new UM F4U Corsair. I already had a DSM2 transmitter for my MsR so that's what I'm using. Weather has turned ugly so won't get to maiden for a few days with winds and rain kicking up.

I know you can take off the landing gear for flying at grass fields, which is what I have, but I like the idea of a nice ROG. This got me thinking of maybe bringing out a piece of plywood etc to use as a small landing strip at the grass field. Then the idea struck me - why just a strip of wood? What about making something that would resemble the flight deck of an aircraft carrier?

How cool would that be to have this at the field along with the plane. I know it wouldn't be true scale but that's why I qualified with "resemble" will have the overall shape of a carrier deck with a conning tower on the one side and maybe even a few flight crew with flags and of course runway markings. It would sit just a few inches from the ground so it looks like the hull is mostly "submerged" somewhere in the South Pacific. Since these planes, from what I have seen, don't take much room for take off, I will make the overall length just long enough to fit in my PT and the width maybe 2 feet give or take. Then paint the structure battle grey or whatever the colour should be...oh yeah a wind sock as well.

Anyways if I do this project I'll post pics. God I love this hobby.

Here are some pics of progress so far. Just need to add more details to conning tower and paint runway lines. Measures 8 feet long by 2.5 feet wide. Actuyal scale would have been 15 feet long. The plywood deck is hinged in the centre for fold up transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	111384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	111385   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	111386  
If man were meant to fly he'd have been born with wings. That's why he invented Superglue.

Last edited by STO; 07-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
STO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.