Which kit should I pick? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Bin Son

Total Props: 0
Which kit should I pick?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm new to this forum and I've never built an rc car before. I need some suggestions for some good electric RC cars that can drift and that I can drive on road and off road. I don't want to pay to much either, thanks.
Kill2fill is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Which kit should I pick?

Originally Posted by Kill2fill View Post
I'm new to this forum and I've never built an rc car before. I need some suggestions for some good electric RC cars that can drift and that I can drive on road and off road. I don't want to pay to much either, thanks.
Good day my friend! If you've never built an RC Car/Truck from a kit, I would suggest you purchase an RTR package. Ready To Run. Comes with everything you need. Just charge and install the battery(s) and you're good to go. Checking things out, you'll see how everything goes together. Bashing around you're probably are going to break something from time to time and you'll soon learn what parts go where and how things relate to other part(s). Then for your next purchase get a kit!

Personally, I would suggest you purchase an off-road vehicle if you're looking for something all around to play with. These have larger wheels/tires and are built for greater ground clearance for off road. You can purchase street tires for it to run on road/pavement etc. Same for drifting! Get yourself a good set of drift tires/wheels for running on an indoor gym etc.

IF you want the best speed you can get out of an RC vehicle, purchase one with a brushless power system with a low voltage cutoff in the ESC to handle 2 or 3 cell Lipo batteries instead of the 6 or 7 cell NiMH pack that may come in the RTR package.

As to what car/truck to get, there are so many out there that it can be quite frustrating at first trying to decide. Folks are going to chime in and tell you that this or that vehicle is what they would recommend based on their experience and personal choice of what they have used. Ultimately it is still going to be up to you to take the info for what it's worth and make your own decision.

EXAMPLE: For me personally, after doing my own research and asking questions, taking finances into consideration, I really like the Traxxas line of RC Vehicles. They are of good quality, endurable, and reasonably priced for what you get. For me, the Traxxas Slash 4 X 4 was exactly what I wanted. And with the right tires, I can do pretty much anything I want to do with it, short of Rock Crawling and it was within my personal price range.

Quote: "I don't want to pay too much either..." I don't know what that means to you! "Not that much"... to one person is quite different than what it might mean to another. However, I would say the best you can do to keep cost at a bare minimum is to purchase a good used package. IF you are unfamiliar with RC vehicles, find a friend who does know about them and have him check out things with you so you get what you want, of decent quality and in good shape and working properly! Also find out where the local club gets together and go there and check things out, ask questions and see what type of vehicles are being used. Take notes, pictures etc to familiarize yourself with various vehicles.

Remember, "An informed, knowledgeable choice is the best choice!"

Check out the FS Cars and Trucks forum here on RCC in the RC Car and Trucks Classifieds to see what's available and get an idea of the costs involved.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.