Meet the RAT - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Meet the RAT

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
After some minor fiddling, I think I'm onto something here. A different perspective for Aerial platforms. This is a Mike Evans (power on RC Groups) design that's been modified. The idea comes from the Heptad and then I modified the airframe to have the camera point backwards instead of forwards. So what we now have is a Heptad that's been Reversed a Tad - aka the RAT. Currently the wing is being re-used from my Super Solution.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Fly it, like ya stole it!
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Meet the RAT

The backwards facing camera is a good way to keep the prop-fuzzies from ruining your shot.
The only problem with backwards facing cameras is that any points of interest are seen up closer first, so by the time you zero in on whatever it is you are interested in, if is already faded into a spec on the horizon. The easy solution is to play the video backwards....It looks great!
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ryan G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Awesome video! So nice and stable!

I'd like to have seen the cam at the front too, but this was cool too.

My videos are so shaky because the plane I fly it on (actually the only one I have) is just twice the weight of the cam itself. And I use those key chain cams which are only about 15g.
astronaut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Well guys, here's the thing. I already have a plane that points ahead all of the time. The Super Solution which can be seen @ . This plane is actually going to be used for stills so I'm not too concerned with the direction of the camera per se. I am more than a bit concerned with the direction of the wind relative to the subject matter. eg. a north facing subject & a north wind (common in my area) til now I would have to fly with the wind and the resulting ground speed has a distinct affect on the quality of the photo due to motion blur. Hence, the extra fuselage with the camera pointing back the way it came rather than the way it's going.
Fly it, like ya stole it!
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Yes that is the big problem with the Power design, I talked to him about it and he basically does not fly past 8 to 10mph, his planes really cannot do a decent video above that. All that drag on the frame and especially all that side area comes to bite you in higher winds.
I fly Easy glider Pro with flaps, GoPro and powerpod, it does well, but runs out of video stability in higher winds also, gyro helps but I am not crazy about the gyro rock it produces in the video. No plane is perfect.
I personally never liked backward facing movies, but I am softening up a little, mixed together with forward facing stuff you could produce a nice multiview video
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.