glow/gas vs electric - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #21

Total Props: 0
Re: glow/gas vs electric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Come on guys. Is this issue of clutter on the table just a matter of your own perspective?

If the source of power determines how much clutter why is it that the freeflight guys can get away with next to nothing?Are they not powered?
The issue is not about the source of power. The issue is about individual habits.
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #22
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Helis don't require much but a set of hex drivers and your charger if you're flying electric. They take up very little space!

I never flew glow planes. I went from electric right into gas. I still enjoy electrics but it got a little expensive flying giant scale electrics so I ended up going gas.

Electrics definitely have their place, as do gas and glow. I'll be building a 1/4 scale electric Cub. Nice, quiet and relaxing. I'll also be able to overpower it easier with electric and still have it fly well.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Yes Fledgewing, it is about perspective & individual habits, but it is also intimidating to some.

I have personally used it as a tool to discourage rc wannabe's who I just know will not survive in this hobby! You know the type - grand mothers that want to do it for the 3 yr old grand kids, welfare recipiants that can't even afford a vehicle, folks with known short attetion spans (have been into everything in the community allready at least twice in the last 6 months), etc.
Open the trunk, take them down stairs - to the garage, show them all the "stuff" explain the inticracies of battery care - engine operation - motor sizing, kit builds vs scratching off of plans, glue types, get into computer radio programming, tell them how long it takes to learn to fly. If that don't do it, get into the MAAC rules, regs & fees, insurance issues!
They will be off like a dirty shirt - guarenteed! And you haven't insulted them!

Ok Tyler P, that last statement I made about heli's & turbines was just to "yank your chain"! Sorry but it was fun!

Oh! And what would be "scale" about an overpowered Cub?

See - I did it again! Go ahead, build it & power it any way you like! Just have fun!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #24
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

I have just ordered my first 500 size electric heli, so I can say I gave it a try. It's whatever is most practical, I remember flying off the ice road last winter , freezing my hands to fuel and I look over at my buddy who pops in a fresh pack and takes off " dang" !!!!!
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by pianodude View Post
i know this has been discussed before ad nauseum, but i am taking a break from covering my GP Learjet and got to thinking. i know electric is clean and quiet, but man-o-man there seems to be a heckuva lot of gear needed at the field. i see guys carrying two car batteries, umpteen battery packs, chargers and now there is the constant hum of generators going at the field. To each his own, but glow is just so easy, especially if you fly a lot(like me!). fill up, fly, land fill up and go again. no cycling, checking, removing canopies and reinstalling all for an eight minute flight. truly not trying to stir the pot, but giving my own opinion..... john
John, I am now on the electric side of the fence, but do remember why I started shifting -- the size and weight of the support (field) box tghat I was lugging back and forth, plus the cleanup involved after flying.

I don't pack a lot of equipment to the field (unlike your comment) -- enough charged batteries for several flights, plane, radio and field charger. Haven't been flying at the field long enough to need the heavy-duty batteries for the charger. One trip out to the car to go flying, one trip to the pits, one trip back into the house.

Only time I had less equipment being lugged was when I was flying standard-class sailplanes -- plane, radio, mallet, high-start. Which also explains one of my older nick-names -- "down-draft" -- gained that one when I was shooting landing approaches for precision landing. Pull back to about 50-foot launch, deliberately pop off at 30 feet or so, could beat the parachute to the ground and get within five feet of the marker.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #26
RCC Noob
I am: John G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

I fly all three. Initially, I was going all electric, but there always seems to be somebody selling something at a reasonable price. So now I have a 1/4 scale gas neiuport 28, glow cub, funtana, cloud dancer, all bought used. When I buy new, its electric. As for field gear, I'm a minimalist. Small tool box, tx case , fuel and batteries. no fluff.
drummrboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #27
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 5

This year I decided to go electric only. There were two main reasons for me:

I had one gasser that was giving me grief. After 3 years of no problems, one weekend at a fun fly, I could not get the motor to run reliably enough to be comfortable doing low-level 3d stuff.

The second reason occurred to me after I had converted my big gasser to electric.... this benefit is this: when you over-power a plane with gas, you sacrifice the low and mid range transition and resolution of your powerplant. with electric, i can grossly overpower the plane (as needed for 3d stuff) and still have very linear and accurate throttle control and resolution, as most high-alpha 3d maneuvers are performed with 25-40%power.

I will agree with some that say there is a lot more 'stuff' involved - especially with bigger electrics. to get through a day of flying, I either need a wheelbarrow full of batteries, or a very elaborate charging system which right now includes 4x golf cart batteries and 4 big solar panels. Add a generator to that for an extended weekend event.

I must say that the dependability and consistency of the power system really opens up a whole new world for the pilot...
MAAC# 35271
dirtdr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #28
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I am still 50/50, but after a year of flying electric helis just about every day, I found the convenience of electric "plug-it-in-and-fly" very convenient.

On any given week, my electric flying of both aircraft and helis rates about 80% of my week. This is primarily because of the fact that I fly at lunchtime every day, and for that, you cant beat the convenience of electrics. I still love the nitros though, but they are regulated to weekends or the odd weeknight.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.