Spektrum signal loss - Page 29 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #281
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Spektrum signal loss

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe I am missing something but I don't really see or understand the failsafe thing at all when you have to turn on either unit or off, in a particular order to make things work right.... I would think it would frustrate the user more and increase the chance of using an incorrect airplane if using more than one ? I thought that Spektrum advertised that it had "fail-safe" built in so that only one programmed airplane would only work with a specific airplane's receiver and that the transmitter had to be physically changed ?
Oh well I only plan on using this indoors with my "toy" foamies so not a big problem and will use my main radio for bigger outdoor stuff with non of the probems.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #282
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Got one of those DX6i transmitters and wonder why it unbinds when transmitter happens to get turned off before the receiver. Happens all too often with my little indoor "toy' airplane. Also sometimes happens when receiver turned on befor transmitter.

Pretty fustrating but thank goodness I am not using any regular Spektrum receivers needing a bind plug. The bind and fly bind up easier.
OK, hang on here. You are talking about those little airplanes with the built in "brick" rather than a regular Rx that takes a bind plug?

Different process of course for binding.

Some quoted text:

"Prior to each flight, you should ensure that you power on your transmitter and wait
about five seconds before you plug the flight battery into the receiver. Doing this
allows time for the transmitter to scan and secure two open frequencies. If the flight
battery is plugged in too quickly and the link is missed, it may cause the receiver to
inadvertently enter bind mode. If this occurs simply leave the transmitter on and then
disconnect and reconnect the flight battery."

Do you actually have to re-do the bind process if you accidentally turn on the plane first, or just power cycle?

If the former, maybe if it sits waiting too long for a bind signal from the Tx it could lose bind (I'm not sure about that though)

If the latter then that would be normal.

Regardless, any time the Rx is not receiving a valid signal it should cut power to the motor, whether it was switched on first or the Tx was switched off first (or it lost contact for some other reason).

I just tried fiddling around with my mSR and plugged it in a couple times with no Tx on. Twice I waited for it to go into bind mode and let it flash for 15 or 20 seconds. Once I turned on the Tx for 10 seconds and then back off again without doing bind mode. Then I did it the right way and the heli is still bound with the Tx. At no time were there any surprise motor starts or anything goofy.

This is DX7 with DSM2 like the DX6i and the heli has been sitting on the shelf for like more than a year since the last time I turned it on.

I don't recall if I ever accidentally put a regular Rx into bind mode without the Tx on but for sure there have been times when I turned them on with no Tx powered or the Tx on a wrong model. I just started over with correct model selected and Tx on first and no re-binding was necessary.

Your behavior seems out of the norm.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #283
Rellic
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

The fail safe as I see it in your situation is that if you turn on the Rx before the Tx there is less risk of an electric motor starting before the Tx is communicating with the Rx. Just that brief moment between switching can be hurting.
I was mistaken in My first response to you Len, Sorry. On My other (DX7 - DX radios if I turn on the Rx before the Tx they will not communicate and the servos have no action. When I shut everything off and restart in the proper sequence I regain control and do not have to necessarily rebind every time. I have powered up in the wrong sequence once or twice and lost bind, but not every time. I am admitting to improper power up on occasion but that is not the worst I have mistakenly done in this hobby.

Brian T.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #284
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Maybe I am missing something but I don't really see or understand the failsafe thing at all when you have to turn on either unit or off, in a particular order to make things work right.... .
You don't, you can turn a Spektrum tx / rx on /off in any order, it makes no difference.

What u r experiencing with the need to rebind every time u turn on is unique to the little indoor planes. I'm sure it's a set up issue of some sort because it can't possibly be "supposed" to be that way but, I only have one of those little planes and only flew it once and couldn't be bothered to really figure it out but, I did have to rebind it every time I flew...very annoying!

Never experienced anything even remotely similar with the larger stuff.

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #285
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

Hey Brian do you remember Len also known as Stegl he is the guy who alway's cuts down Spektrum.Remember he's the Mr.Airtronics guy.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #286
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsone View Post
Hey Brian do you remember Len also known as Stegl he is the guy who alway's cuts down Spektrum.Remember he's the Mr.Airtronics guy.
Oh I don't know, I wouldn't call it cutting down Spektrum as much as just being realistic.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #287
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Seems you have an axe to grind but now I can say I have used both... probably more than you can say. . Only reason buying the DX6 was for the indoor Bind-N-Fly stuff. Can't loose an airplane or do too much damage that way.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #288
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Hey, give him a break, he's expanding his "Horizon's" and trying things on The Dark Side!
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #289
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Thanks for the support , David.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #290
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

HaHaHa
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in