Gas engine - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

Total Props: 0
Re: Gas engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think you need to completely searate the entire spark system (module, battery,switches and sparkplug lead) from the receiver system by as much as you can (by 12" if possible). It is the interface between the two systems that usually causes the problem. Place the spark system ahead of the firewall, in the engine compartment and the receiver system as far back as possible. Battery leads and sparkplug wires are a big problem if they are near each other. Flying wires, landing gear, metal cabane struts etc.will all act as an aerial if they are too close to either system. In some cases I have had to replace flying wires with kevlar or fishing line. I am told by going to 2.4ghz the problem will is not as sensitive to RF noise.
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

Try a different ignition .. could be you have a bad one .. The lead to the plug should be a shielded lead .. maybe your igniton system has a problem in this area ..
I always mount the ignition and ignition battery in the cowl area to keep it as far from the receiver as possible.

We have 2 planes with DLE20 engines at our field, both flying 2.4 with no problems ..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

2.4 is also suseptible to ign noise, just not quite so much. A buddy had a Quadra with a lawn mower plug that drove the Spektrum crazy till he put a RCJ7Y Champion plug in it. Another didn't have the metal resistor cap on tight which also drove the radio nuts.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Frank, as for your DLE engines. The plug is not a resistor type, but the plug cap is a metal shield over the pocelin. Therefore a resistor type plug is not needed.
As for other suggestions, hard to do from so far away. A local may see something a little out of the norm.

Hope this helps,
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.