RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
John O'Sullivan
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John O

Total Props: 6
Big brother is watching

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I got some disturbing news today from the Model Aeronautics Council of Ireland Web Site.
It appears that the International Council (FAI and CIAM) have adopted the international Anti-doping Regulations which will be applied to Aeromodelling.

The announcement in the MACI news is as follows:

FAI Anti Doping Rules
The new President of the FAI, Dr. John Gubbstron, addressed the CIAM, (Commission for International Aeromodelling), meeting in April. During his address the President, who is a practicing GP as well as an Aviation Medical Examiner, warned the meeting that competitors are open to examination for drug use, and even mild medication MUST be declared on the form before the event. Regrettably during the year, which showed a rise in the number of random checks, there were instances which could have been resolved by declaring medication before hand. The forms are available and the lists of restricted substances and medication are available on the FAI web-site.
If any doubt exists then a chat to a GP will easily resolve any queries.

The FAI Site is:

Now Having been a modeller for over 60 years and attended contests worldwide, I can say that I have never seen a need for these draconian actions.
What next - Fertility Tests?
I'm a bit dissapointed that MAAC have not been on top of this one.
MAAC #5401
MACI # 26
John O'Sullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4
Re: Big brother is watching

I hear ya John but I'm afraid it is just another sign of the times. Kind of makes me chuckle a bit though. I have never heard of a recreational drug, or any drug for that matter that actually sharpens the mind. We are not a physical sport. It is a very complex mind to hand excercise that we engage in. It's just like airport security. We all must endure it as they have painted everyone with the same brush where a few detailed searches of defined individuals whould be sufficient and probably safer.

Things are not as they used to be in anything anymore.

mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

Total Props: 0

This quote is a bit extreme for the circumstance, but Franklin D was right on the money...
"They (who) seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers... call this a new order. It is not new and it is not order."
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Well, every amateur and professional sport at world class level has some form of drug testing.

It seems unless you are on some illegal drug ( or prescription meds that maybe should not be aken during piloting anyhow) as long as you just declare what you are taking you will be fine. What is the issupe with that?

In today's world, i wouldnt doubt someone is trying something to give them a boost. I cant see how this is infringing on anyones rights...? If you are clean, and say what if any meds you are taking then youre fine.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

With all due respect, I think the title of this thread is somewhat misleading and this is not near the issue it is made out to be by the OP.....Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

I doubt that steroids or blood doping will help an F3A pilot On the other hand there are drugs known as Beta Blockers which are commonly used by performance artists as a way of blocking the release of adrenelin. These types of drugs could definately help a pilot who has trouble with his nerves. If you are planning to compete at the highest levels I don't think it is such a bad thing that the field is level between competitors. On the other hand, as the CD of a small local IMAC contest I don't think that I will be insisting on urine tests any time soon!
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

Total Props: 0

Maybe the larger issue is whether you want a drugged up pilot flying these high performance machines at a public venue...just saying.
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19

Deceiving topic name...
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Depending upon the sport and the level of the event, this has been going on in 99% of all sports for decades.

No surprise to me.

I went the to 1976 Olympics in Montreal as an official for fencing, and there were a few incidents with doping that had us all laughing. Not the usual "so-and-so flubbed the test", but who went to the bathroom and then had their name drawn for random spot-checking. The more notorious one was a Japanese fencer who was the first one finished in his pool and packed up and went to the bathroom. While he was there, the reps from doping control showed up and called his name. One of his team-mates rushed off and found him just finishing up. Apparently, the words translate generally as "oh, crap!" Fencer then spent his afternoon working up enough "juice" to fill the cup while his team-mates had the day off to be tourists.

Rule of thumb that we all learned that day: stay until the end of the pool and everyone's finished just in case your name is drawn.

Of course, I was taking steroids under doctor's orders at the time for a medical condition, and I asked the Technical Director for the Canadian Fencing Association what would happen if I got called up for doping control. His response really popped my ballon: "You'll never be in an event where doping control is done."
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Talking Re: Big brother is watching

This is as ridiculous as having competition doping tests for major chess events, basket weaving , pie eating, and spelling bees... stupid as the shoes on Forest Gump.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.