RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Mat H
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Nitro Firestorm Tuning Problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm having an issue tuning my firestorm. I broke it in by running it at factory settings for 6 tanks. I never hit full throttle until the last tank, starting at idle for the first, then gradually increasing the throttle throughout the six tanks.

Today I figured it would be good to start tuning, but its weird because when I lean out the HSN by 1/8 turn, it runs much better at low RPMs, but if I give it full throttle, it revs up and then bogs down and dies.

I tried turning it another 1/8 and now it can do wheelies when I give it full throttle but it seems to bog down sooner.

Reading the manual, it says not to turn it past 1/4 turn, but there is still a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust because its all over the tip of the pipe and the side of the body.

Is this normal behavior for an engine running too rich? It seemed to run better at factory settings at high RPMs, so it seems weird to me but I don't know anything about this lol.
0x001a4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James West
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: Firestorm Tuning Problem

I have mine tuned like this. My LSN is flush and The High SN is one turn in from flush. Be careful not to run too lean . Mine was set real well "I thought" smoke trail and all but it still sent a rod through the case. My replacement 3.0 is on the bench, while the FS now runs with a .12 engine. It runs just as fast but no wheelies
controlliner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Firestorm Tuning Problem

Try adjusting the high speed needle until you get the best possible idle. Then very slowly, just 1/16th to 1/8 of a turn, turn in the low speed needle and if it is running rich you should hear the RPM start to pick up. Continue turning in slowly until you reach peak RPM. that is, until any further turning of the LSN does NOT result in any further RPM increase. Then turn back just slightly!

Go back and just slightly tweek the High speed needle until it idles smoothly and then turn back 1/8 turn to assure it is not going to be running too lean.

Give this a try and see if it helps. I find that it is the low speed needle that needs tweaking for good throttle transition. I am not too familiar with car engines but I do have 2 stroke airplane engines and would think 2 stroke car engines can be adjusted basically the same. Hope this helps.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Mat H
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Re: Firestorm Tuning Problem

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to try and get out sometime this week after work and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes
0x001a4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.