21st century adhesives vs.....? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Question 21st century adhesives vs.....?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm just getting back into the RC world after a 20+ year absence. I'm going to start building kit planes again (not a scratch builder) and I wondered if good old ambroid is still in use. It was my main adhesive along with a little epoxy in critical areas. All the new CA's advertise their holding strength but I have never used CA to build with. I guess I need some guidance as to current glues and their uses in our hobby (I really liked my ambroid . All comments/advice appreciated. thx.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: 21st century adhesives vs.....?

have sigment here if it will work for you.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

Hi Bill,

Yes, Ambroid is still available, many hobby shops still carry it. I used to build with it as a kid/ teenager too but, I think you will find the new CA's much easier to work with and they will allow you to assemble parts much faster. My favorites are Zap and Mercury adhesives.

Phantoms Phorever
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Lately I find I get a bad headache if I use CA in any quantity, have to take it out to the garage if using more than a couple of drops.
Being retired, curing time is not quite as important as it once was, so I use Sigment quite a bit, as the last tube of Ambroid was really thin, and the ones I sampled at the LHS were the same. (Oh for the days when I could buy real Ambroid by the gallon from the local supplier) My other glues of choice are TiteBond lll from Lee Valley,"Superphatic" from Ontario Adhesives, and the usual epoxies.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

Yeah Ross, saw some ambroid in a shop in Calgary a few weeks ago. Never used it,
and always assumed it dried hard and brittle like plastic cement because it was in a
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

The new Ambroid formula is not the same as old...

I use mostly Super Phatic for framing these days, still use epoxy for firewalls etc. and good ole yellow carpenter's glue when I need a thicker gap filling glue....

Welcome back, I think you'll find the technology has improved but, kits, really good ones, are tough to come by. ARF's are everywhere but there are still good plans to be had.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Back when I was a kid in the early '70s (before a teen) I tried Ambroid. It was too slow for my patience. I did use the early CAs for my peanut planes. I built a Sterling Fledgeling when I was 12 but damned if I can remember what glues I used.

My first plane after returning to the hobby in the early '90s was the PT40. The instructions had you using liberal amounts of CA which I did. Now I am alergic so most of my building is carpenters glue. I do use epoxy and CA but to limit exposure I set up the assembly, apply the glue and leave for the evening.

As to building from kits they are few and far between now. ARFs rule in this era of want it now. Some are very good and all are cheaper to acquire then building a similar plane given the cost of the kit, adhesives, covering and hardware. Those of us who do build either have lots of material on hand, love to build, or want something a bit or very different. Frankly if you have built a kit or two in the past you could probably scratch from plans or find someone in your club to help put a kit together. There are also lots of kit cutters out there.

Madman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Frank J.
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Total Props: 0

I still use Ambroid, and I use it a lot! No other glue sands as nicely, and that means a lot when you are joining sheeting. The join lines will not show through, as Ambroid sands as the same rate as balsa. CA can leave hard lines that will show through the final finish. I do use CA some times, but mostly I use Elmer's yellow wood glue for basic building. It's super cheap, and also sands well. And you get time to make sure your parts are in proper alignment.
From the manual of Air Traffic Control - Definitons: "Separation is that condition which exists when two or more aircraft fail to collide."
MAAC 23372
vonJaerschky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Thanks for the input everyone. I still have two 25 year old unbuilt kits in the attic - Coverite's "Black Baron Special" and a Midwest 'Beercat Sport Bipe Trainer" and it looks like I'll still be able to get all the ambroid I'll need. I think I'm also going to try Sigment. When I built Goldberg's Eaglet and Eagle 63 and other kits back in the early 80's I never thought of using carpenters glue - white or yellow - so I'm going to try that also. The only thing I'm sure of about the CA's is that they are expensive. If I was only assembling ARFs I would probably welcome the new glues but when you start with a big box of balsa and a roll of wax paper adhesive costs add up. I retired last winter so a fast assembly speed is not high on my list of model requirements. Thanks again guys. As I read the real life input from forum members it sure brings back memories - good and bad -.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
I am: Cedric V.

My vote goes mainly with SuperPhatic from Ontario Adhesives, man, I love that stuff for just about everything. Along with my bottle of Weldbond for odd things.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.