repairing a velox - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: jim
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
repairing a velox

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
unfortunately on its maiden test flight after about 5 min and a full range of manoeuvres the engine suddenly decided to make a left turn and the rest of the plane a right turn. was a sight to behold. after the initial shock wore off gathered up the bits and afterwards at home where i could cry in peace.
the engine (appears totally undamaged), mount and supporting structure had broken away more or less intact and to my shock it was apparent that the bonding failures were cohesive not adhesive as one would expect. it appeared that either there was a minimum of epoxy used and/or mating of the parts was carried out just before working time had run out. no damage to the wings slight to the hor stab and all electronics still operating (floated down into tall grass. repair seems a possibility.
couple questions based on the failure mode should i cut my losses and run or assume rest of the build is ok (hard to swallow that one). would try to add reinforcing epoxy fillets in the structure where possible.
if i do repair how best to prepare the surfaces that have all ready been soaked with epoxy to ensure a good bond.
jimca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary

Total Props: 0
Re: repairing a velox

Oh, not good, sorry to hear that Jim, I ment to get the instructions scanned and sent to you, but have been real busy trying to get everything done before operation tomorrow.... anything can be rebuilt, my Velox went in last year, the Y harness for the elevator servos messed up on me... biggest damage was the firewall. I pulled out the entire mount/tank assembly and made a new one and put it all back in.... went together pretty nice... flies great again. the one thing I did do is on the motorbox, I used some glass cloth on the corners and epoxy as well as drilled the corners and installed dowels. the factory joints were kinda sad in that area. Mind you I am running a 26cc gasser... good luck with your rebuild, it will fly again..
gkm41 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.