How to fix Triton 2 open circuit error - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Kent Lipskie
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kent L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
How to fix Triton 2 open circuit error

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have had this problem on and off with several different batteries since I purchased this charger ,sometimes it works great and sometimes it goes into an open circuit error a couple minutes into the charge.
Originaly looked at the equinox balancer as the cause and was able to rule it out after I tried a new unit with the same error showing up. I noticed that just before the open circuit error would trip out the charger the fan would start ramping up in speed. It seemed like an thermal overload was tripping, causing the issue before the fan could start to cool the internal components.

Two things you need to do to fix this.

1. Unplug the fan and solder the leads directly to the two terminals on the right side that go to the balancer. This will start the fan whenever a battery is connected and run at full speed all the time when charging and will shut off when the battery reaches it`s charge.

2. Look at the plastic case ends you will notice that the one on the left has no air inlets even though it looks like it does. The one on the right has three small slits to let air in, thats all.
Take your dremil and open up these slits approx. 1/4 x 1.0 long. Only do the right side as this makes the fan draw air accros the board .This will allow the fan to draw air in alot more effeciently,you will notice the fan noise will increase along with the airflow when in use and you will not see the open circuit error again.

Electronics + Heat = Smoke
Cheers Kent
Kent Lipskie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Kent Lipskie
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kent L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Re: How to fix Triton 2 open circuit error

One little note here is that by wiring your fan up to the output leads as I have done,you will be driving it in an overvolt state. The largest battery I charge is a 5000mah/5 cell and the fan has been fine so far for at least 12 charges. A better way would be to wire it into the incoming 12 volt leads ,a little harder to do as they are on the bottom of the board.
OH yeh. By suggesting this modification I can in no way be held responsible if you do something wrong and toast your toys, also I think you have voided the warranty by performing this modification.

Cheers Kent
Kent Lipskie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: How to fix Triton 2 open circuit error

I have been using my Triton 2 for several years without incident!

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway...
Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.