Wing repair - Need your 2 cents - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: MikeD
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Wing repair - Need your 2 cents

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I maidened my PZ BF109 and hand launched with landing gear at 80% throttle. I got it up 3 mistakes high. Too nervous to trim and needed more expo. I belly landed with landing gear in a field of oats. Not the worst but the not the best but level and at a moderate speed.

Put a second battery in and hand launched at 80% throttle like the last time. Got about 10 feet and the left wing tip broke off where the aileron servo is located. Came down hard, but no other damage.

I suspect that the previous landing may have weakened the wing. Maybe landing in +18 inches of oats was not a good idea. Who knows.

Here is the question. I don't have any CA, have 5 minute epoxy which I could use but worried about setup time. I heard a lot of good reports regarding Gorilla glue. Seems to work fine on ZFoam. The only negative is clamping time.

What's the best method and glue to repair this wing?
Should I add cf rod reinforcing?
msdumo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
I am: Adrian A.
Radio of choice:
More stuff than you can imagine
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 5
Re: Wing repair - Need your 2 cents

I'd cf strip reinforce it, but do both sides, bottom and cover with tape and paint to blend into the underside (you could use tooth picks at the joint to add rigidity just watch the amount of weight added you don't have too), . Use glue gun glue... hot glue gun... it's soft, and will bend with the wing. (you can smooth it out before it cures with a wet finger) Epoxy would harden too much, and not bend with the airfoil when a load is present. Might break again during a manouvre.

Gorilla glue is really good too, it expands and fills cracks... it expands.. a lot.. so use it sparingly.. do a test on some other foam with it and you'll see the reaction.
cr8tive_leo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

When you use the Gorilla glue, it will expand out though the joint. Normally I would use green painters tape over the joints, but in this case I am not sure if it will pull the paint off the foam.
The tape stops the expansion of the foam outside the joint area.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

use your 5 minute epoxy. works just fine on foam airframes. you should see some of the damage after some of the stryker sorties at our club field. those guys couldn't function without 5 minute epoxy.

gorilla glue expands too much IMHO.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

Sounds like you're in the learning stage, and so am I after about a 35 year break from the hobby. My primary learning tool has been a PZ Corsair, and it's had a few repairs all done with regular epoxy & lightweight fiberglass cloth to reinforce the area. It won't look that great cosmetically but it does add strength. You can apply it over the existing paint, and the colour will show through but be off a bit in shade. Depending on the location of a break I'd be inclined to add a stiffener or 2 inside the wing using carbon fibre rods or doweling etc (about 1/8" or 2-3 mm).

This may help a bit re my method

Re your hand launch here's my procedure which I use on the Corsair, a PZ T-28 Trojan & an E-Flite Apprentice. Full power, and I throw them almost vertically up. The Corsair & Apprentice just climb at about the angle I throw while the Trojan climbs at a reduced angle but it's still climbing giving me time to get my hands on the sticks & get it high enough to reduce power & trim them as needed. Landings used to be in the tall grass but as of a couple of weeks ago I now land in an area I've mowed even though the ground is very rough. There's lots of tall grass around my little runway, along with tall milkweeds which are hard on the LE of foam wings.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Gorilla glue and toothpicks inserted diagonally into the wing so it passes through the break from one side of the wing to the other works best. You can also substitute bamboo skewers for larger breaks that require more stiffness than toothpicks can give. If you angle it right, only the little bit sticking out is visible, which you naturally cut flush so it is virtually invisible.

As for gorilla glue- if it expands TOO MUCH, then you used TOO MUCH. If you learn to use the right amount, the expansion is predictable and manageable.
One neat trick I learned with Gorilla glue, is the tape thing- cover the joint with tape and the GG will expand to be flush with the tape joint leaving it almost flush with the surfaces. For areas I cant use tape, I stretch a plastic bag across the break after I gorilla-glued it and joined it together, then stretch a rubber band over the parts to hold the plastic bag on, and then stretch the plastic so it is lying smooth over the joint. Just like the tape, the foam will expand flush against the plastic
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 7

I've been experimenting a bit with adhesives & Z-Foam. Couple of the local guys have been saying to just use the 5-minute epoxy, and forget all that other stuff. Me, I like to see how things work...

So here's what I've tried, and my thoughts (all 100% IMHO):

- Regular CA: works OK, does not attack Z-Foam. I've heard it WILL attack the foam in the elevators & rudder though (it's different stuff). However, styrofoam doesn't have much (any) moisture, which CA requires to function. So drying is slow. Would not use this in the field, when I want to get airborne again quick.

- Foam-safe CA: Same as regular CA. Shouldn't attack the foam in the tail.

- Gorilla Glue: Great end result, but too slow for field use.

- Hobby shop-grade 5-minute epoxy: The guys were right, this is great stuff for fast, strong repairs. Drawback is epoxies are... unhealthy, so gloves are required. Also, on a hot day you have less that 5 minutes before it hardens (good and bad!).

I also tried some alphetic glue I picked up at the LHS. Very slow drying... until I got impatient and added a drop or two of CA (more likely the CA grabbed the moisture from the glue, and did it's thing).

One other thing - from past experience, the hardware store/department store varieties of epoxy are junk. if you go the epoxy route, get some Z-Poxy or whatever your local hobby shop carries.

CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.