Vac Form Canopy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1
Vac Form Canopy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A Question - anyone have any notions as to how I can go about getting a one-off largish canopy vac formed? I'm comfortable vac forming smaller stuff, but this has to be basically perfect - and I don't think the oven at home is going to hack it size-wise.

It's for a possible 1/2 sized Turbulent - and before deciding if I want to proceed, this potential stumbling block needs to be dealt with. Attached is a shot of my previous 1/3 scale version as an indication of what I'm talking about, canopy-wise.

I would prepare a suitable form, just need to know if there are any commercial, or whatever, vac formers out there that anyone's run into that won't fall about laughing over a one-off like this!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC0088.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	118045  
MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Doug S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Re: Vac Form Canopy

What are the approximate dimensions of the canopy, and is it going to be
one piece or two ?
Quazimoose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: CARL S

log on
go to Forums--Scratch Build
go to Canopy and Cowl molds, this is at the bottom of page 3. There you will find a series of 14 videos on large scale cowl molding and great videos on making a plug/ vac forming a large canopy for a 1/4 scale Starship. This fella made the plug and frame, heated the plastic in a kitchen oven and pulled the canopy using a built in vac system to pull the plastic. I cant send the link to the videos because you need to be logged in for access. These videos are very interesting. Hopes this helps.. The audio is kind of crappy. It sounds like he used .060 plastic sheet for the canopy.
cschimno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

The dimension (approx) are 26 1/4" length overall both front & back bits, top to bottom is 10 1/2, and it'll be around 11" wide.
It could be made as two. The original 1/3 scale one I had was a one piece moulding, but 2 pieces might well be simpler & less risky?
I've attached a pic of the profile as an idea.

Don't want to even think about doing something this size domestically. Can't chance dust specks etc., so while thanks for the RCSB info - I've been there, done that....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy side.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	118058  
MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

There was an article in the EAA mag a while ago detailing what one member had to go through, including the requirements and technique for completing an optically correct vac-formed canopy.

Cannot remember the issue, but from what I remember from quite a few articles over the years it took many first-timers more than one try to get it right.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.