Hobby King - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Andy M

Total Props: 0
Question Hobby King

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Folks,

Has anybody ever dealt with Hobby King before ? I see their ads posted around, but I get leary of International sites that appear to have decent prices.

Thanks !

MIGMaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: Hobby King

I have ordered several times from HK without issues. Lately, though, shipping times have increased. However, most of my batteries have been ordered from HK.

Many others have also ordered from them, as well.

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance... www.ballroomdancelessons.ca
All for One, One for All... www.scarboroughfencing.on.ca

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
I am: Adrian A.
Radio of choice:
More stuff than you can imagine
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 5

I use HK all the time. Shipping is only an issue with Lipos I find. THey use Swiss Post.. and.. yeah... Swiss... not Swift.
Everythign else I've ordered, transmitters, motors, servos, etc... all arrive within a week of ordering , unless something is backordered,then just don't bother ordering it.

Good prices, and so far *knock on wood* all quality stuff.
cr8tive_leo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Just received my 26th order a couple of days ago. I guess you could call me a repeat customer.

I personally know about 15 modellers locally who order regularly from them.
As said above, don't order anything that is not shown as 'in stock'.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Same here ...... 3 times so far this season ...... As Adrian says ..... if it's on backorder .... don't go there .... if in stock .... the odds are pretty good it will get picked, packed & shipped in a day or two .... just keep watching your online order summary .... there will be a link on your order status there somewhere ..... orders get updated 3 or 4 times before it out the door .... If your parcel gets allocated to Swiss Post .... don't hold your breath .... it will take a bit .... HK also uses Speed Post (ie HongKong post) it is a lot quicker .... again use the tracking numbers they give you .... it is a universal id .... will work with all carriers that deal with your parcel..... ie: SwissPost -> Canadapost or SpeedPost -> Canadapost ..... and USPS if you order from south of the border and ask for them.

The tracking tools are there and suprisingly they work ..... actually one of my last parcels from HK .... the SpeedPost site had the item shown as delivered within 30 min of arriving at my door .... ( not bad from 1/2 way around the world ) .... it showed up a few hours later with the right delivery time on the CP tracking ....

Just plan ahead about 2 weeks for what you need ..... you are not ordering from PizzaPizza ..... With you being in NS .... add some extra time as well ..... you probably are not close to one of the International entry points & Canada Customs for postal items coming to Canada .... I'm in Markham, Adrian is in Newmarket and Gord is in Toronto .... all very close by comparison to the Mississauga CP Gateway processing center .... so we have a bit of a geographic atvantage on you ....

if your item is coming from a wharehouse other then HongKong ... Can't comment .... but I'm guessing things should work about the same .... just different carriers .....

ps: Dave snuck one in here while I was composing ..... He's a approx 200km east of the GTA .... so again .... Grographically close ....
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

I've had 27 orders ( well over $1000 worth ) and other than some frustrating delays for stuff that was back ordered I haven't had any problems.
If they don't have stock you can wait a looooong time ( like 4 or 5 months for hardware )
The more popular stuff like batteries are usually back in stock quite quickly.
Their quality control is sketchy .. read the reviews before you purchase .
I've been waiting for DLE55s to get back in stock since this spring ..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Andy M

Total Props: 0

Excellent ! Thanks for all the replies guys ! I must fire off an order !!

Cheers !

MIGMaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Their prices are pretty good on their own brands but just keep in mind that you're buying chinese made stuff with little QC so you will end up with a dud now and then. I don't trust the reviews on that site, they give you points based on them so most people post positive reviews.

I've made 15 orders so far and spent around $3500. I've had 2 dud batteries out of maybe 30 or so, even if I take them at a total loss and spread their cost over the others I still saved a bundle.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

Ordered lots from them, no issues yet.
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.