Did You Know? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Re: Did You Know?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
I would be interested in knowing where the retaining bolts are placed in the wing. Please!

The NexSTAR had one dowel at the front of the wing and used one nylon bolt on the rear of the wing (turned into what they called the Pivot Flex mounting system).....worked great. I did change out the nylon nut in the pivot mount for a 1/4 inch steel jack nut (way stronger)....makes for a very clean. uncluttered trainer look.

I crashed mine 2 years ago and miss the old bird. I had converted it to a taildragger and removed the dihedryl from the wing and it flew frikkin' awesome.

I have been seriously considering getting another one and modding to a dragger and removeing the dihedryl again. Only this time, I would power it up with a GMS.61 2st instead of the OS.46FXi that it came with (besides, that engine resides in my UltraStick now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MORE PLANES 006.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	119507   Click image for larger version

Name:	MORE PLANES 007.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	119508   Click image for larger version

Name:	MORE PLANES 011.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	119509   Click image for larger version

Name:	MORE PLANES 008.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	119510  

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by chuebner; 09-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58
Re: Did You Know?

Just some food for thought here on the subject of wing securing methods.

The whole purpose of holding a wing on with elastics or nylon bolts is to create a week link so that in a bad take off, landing or high speed taxiing incident, the hold down will give before the wing or fuse gets damaged.

So a balance must be achieved between protecting the plane in minor bumps and having the wing part company with the rest of the plane in the air.

On planes with elastics, my practice has been to pick the plane up by the wing and shake it up & down vigorously & add elastics until you can't separate the fuse from the wing. Then I add one more on each side just in case one fails in flight.

On a .40 size trainer that works out to between 6 & 8 #64's total & is more than adequate for normal trainer flight loads.

Bolt on wings are harder to judge but on my Senorita, I have two dowels on the front & a single 10 x 24 nylon bolt on the back. I have had two incidents with this setup, one where the fuse saddle broke out & one where the nylon bolt sheered so I am just on the ragged edge of getting it right!

A few years ago we had an Eagle II bump the fence on landing & the wing broke in half! On examination the center section of the wing was crushed just like someone had stomped on it! we counted 18 #64 elastics holding the wing on! It's amazing that the wing didn't fail in flight! That is a pile of force!

Over the years I have witnessed numerous trainers come back to the pits with one wing sheared off & the elastics still in place! Again, too many.

I have talked to many guys who don't believe in the elastic system at all because "I had the wing come off in flight"! Could have been too few or too many! The results are the same.

Hope that is some help. Merv
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.