New and Curious! (Not that type of curious!) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
I am: tyler
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
New and Curious! (Not that type of curious!)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I've been flying collective pitch Heli's for the summer now. (Yes i learnt on a blade 400! and threw money at it like i needed American health care!)

Now flying a blade 450 3d still learning obviously with only 4months experience.
I picked up a micro UMX beast in the hopes of getting into planes. I chose that because my hobby store owner suggested it in lieu of a P-51 i wanted. Saying if i can handle a 450 in 3d, i'd get bored of a p-51 for a learner.

Well, Needless to say, the beast has seen many crashes >.<, Only so much expo and travel u can reduce, Its still a bi-plane. and still sooo maneuverable.

school park just doesn't cut it, if i want to get Any bigger (even a 550 size heli)

I'm not sure where to go from here to get into bigger scale models. Let alone where to fly (600+ helis, and stuka or bf109 nitro planes?)
I need a better plane trainer too, What should be my next step up from a UMX beast? maybe a step down? A nitro cub trainer is what i'm kinda eyeing up.
Soo many possibilities any tips in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Last edited by Snoozer98k; 09-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Snoozer98k is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4
Re: New and Curious! (Not that type of curious!)

Welcome Snoozer98k,

I suggest you make contact with a r/c club in your area. It's members can be a great help to you. A talk with your local hobby shop (LHS) owner, and/or a search of the Model Aeronatics Association of Canada (MAAC) web site will help find local clubs.

There are a number of great trainer aircraft out there, and what to get depends on how you want to proceed (electric vs glow vs gas, ready-to-fly vs almost-ready-to-fly vs kit, new vs used, etc).

MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Heya! Welcome to the site. Sounds like you're getting right into it and looking to bigger things - first thing to do is find a club in your area! As soon as you're past park flyers, you're going to want a proper place to fly and the insurance that comes with it.

There's a number of good nitro trainers out there, or certainly you can stick with electric as there are no limits with them either. Lots of possibilities either way.

I had a Superstar 40 trainer (which comes in electric also). Really easy to fly, but capable of all sorts of aerobatics as well! The LT-40 and Alpha 40 are equally good. The Hangar 9 P-51 trainer is a great trainer as well, and I disagree that you would get bored quickly. Take off the trainer caps and anyone would have fun with it.

Again, look for a club and I would strongly suggest getting training from a teacher. Even if you can fly the Micro Beast well, there's a ton to learn about nitro planes and proper flying and you would save yourself a lot of frustration vs. being self taught.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
I am: Scott G

Total Props: 3

Sent PM on the 3G
Also have an eFlite Apprentice RTF w/2nd Battery available.
We can figure out a deal on it as well if you are interested.

Come out and fly at the Club Field.
I'm sure you can come as a guest for remainder of season.
We also do indoor in the Banting Gym in the Winter, should start up soon.
GimpyGolden is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Well first off your local guy should know better then to throw that plane out there for a trainer. Try to find the local club as there members will give you way better advice and possibly a demo of what you are looking for, I know at our club you'd have a buddy box in your hands within a few minutes and a .40 sized nitro trainer at the other end of the flight line with an instructor to give you your first free lesson.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10

You have a good choice of clubs in your area. I would recommend spending some time as a quest and get some free advice. Our club is a little drive for you but we have many instructors available. You are welcome to try one of my bigger helis on the buddy box. You will need a valid MAAC membership. We also have a reduced rate for new members. This year is almost over as our field is not accessible when the snow flies. You will be amazed at how stable a .50/600 sixe heli is compared to your 450. I will pm my phone number. Give me a call anytime. I also have some cubs if you want to check them out. I work in Alliston a lot and we could meet up as well. I would hold off buying until you find a place to run some larger stuff. Check out our clubs site as well.
Past Prez and Instructor
Edenvale Radio Controlled Aircraft Club
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.