Smoke setup on DX8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Smoke setup on DX8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, im trying to set up a mix on my DX8 to slave my smoke pump to my throttle that I can turn on and off with my gear switch. I tried a few different things in the mix but I can't seem to get any kind of smoke out of it. I checked the plumbing and everything seems correct. Does anyone have any ideas how to set this up

Thanks a bunch
MikeWise is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 11
Re: Smoke setup on DX8

This is what I had to get the aux channel to run off the gear switch. I have never run a smoke setup so I am not sure if this is right. Do you need a on/off state for smoke or is it related to the throttle? I have not found a way to have a spare channel come full on when the throttle hits a certain point. Is it possible you may need to reverse the servo setting on the smoke channel? I am still learning the more advanced stuff on this radio so if this help great if not maybe someone who knows what the hell they are doing can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0926012046.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	120350  
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Is your smoke pump programmable to throttle? I am using a Sullivan Sky Writer off my "Gear RX port and switch" through this I can turn my smoke pump off and on as well as program the pump volume related to Throttle. This is a feature of the Sullivan Pump and I chose to use the gear switch as it is on my left and I don't have to worry about Aileron or Elevator distraction during flight.
It's All About Ballance
Rellic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

yes it is, I did figure it out, I slaved my pump to my throttle. created a mix with the gear switch slaved to the throttle. had to set my low value to -43% to get the pump to turn off and im still playing with my high end to get max smoke with minumum loss of oil but currently im around +60%. the key was there is a offset value at the bottom of the mix screen, I set that to 100% and it worked.......oh and also switching my lines so that the oil was pumping into the muffler and not try to go back to the tank sometimes the diagrams can't be taken too literally lol

happy to report im filling the skies with plenty of white smoke

thanks guys, hope this helps anyone else who runs into this problem
MikeWise is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.