new flyer, need help! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Duane V

Total Props: 4
Ontario new flyer, need help!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am from Clifford Ontario, and have just purchased a Super Cub LP. I took it home and flied it for a couple minutes and crashed and broke the fuselage in 2 pieces.
I am looking for anyone who could give me flying advice, or someone close by who could help teach me how to fly.
I am sure I could teach myself, but I don't know how many repairs or new parts I will have to do.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
olympiadriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: new flyer, need help!

You can come over to the Hanover field just south of Carlsrue. Meeting on Tues. Night at Hanover airport if interested.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Best advice I can give you ,Visit a few clubs in your area and see where you feel most comfortable then Join that Club and take flight instruction for your Wings , you will learn quicker and reduce the chances of Crashing with the expertise of a Qualified Instructor and receive guidance for repairs if needed... This will cost you less in the Long Run
Hammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Naveed H.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

I would suggest to buy a Flight simulator. Great Planes are the best I found so far G4 will be around $80 if u want to have the latest which is 5.5 will cost around $200 (slightly less at some places). I stopped breaking planes after practicing on my Simulator. An extreame help and saving from technology.

nahashmi is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 2

Flight sim is great for learing orientation, landing approaches, learning aerobatics, etc.. Joining the club helps with learning everything from preflight checks, flying and repairs and has the added bonus of meeting people who are involved in the hobby. I have been in the hobby for close to 30 years and find very few people in my normal social circles have any interest in R/C, so I go to the flying field or indoor flying as much for the social aspect as the flying.
If only my budget could keep up with my wish list!
rcwannabee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
len mosissette
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: len m
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 30+

Thumbs up Re: new flyer, need help!

I agree, get a simulator ,join a club ,and get your MAAC insurance . before you fly again. Someone at a club, should check your repair's before you fly your plane (and all aircraft )for you ,untill you are sure how to check it all out yourself , looking for binding ,proper direction and amount of travel on flaps,elevator,aileron,rudder and throttle ,also checking your center of gravity , check the range of your equipment and test fly it for you .

Then hook and set up your transmitter as a slave with a buddy cord (trainner cord ) and teach you right way to fly ,and save you when in trouble .

most often for free

Good luck , and Welcome to the hobbie !
len mosissette is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

All of the above advice is correct, find a club & buy a sim, and if you don't know which clubs exist in your area use the MAAC web site to find them ( With winter coming a sim can fill many an evening as a good way to practice & learn orientation, which is a very important part of flying. Unfortunately a sim is only 2 dimensional which can be a pain at times, but it's going to save you money even if you buy new because you can sell it later for about 2/3 -3/4 of the cost.
However if you want to learn on your own & understand the basics of flying get a powered GLIDER, like a Radian. Launch at a medium power setting & gentle add power while climbing using the other controls to get altitude & once you have a lot of room to play with the sticks experiment on how the plane reacts to gentle changes to the sticks (keyword is GENTLE0. Gliders, once trimmed correctly can fly without you, so when you screw up kill the throttle & let go of the sticks, let it settle, then try again . You'll still crash, make orientation mistakes etc, but at slower speeds which (in general) cause less damage.
No matter which way you decide to go repairing / maintaining / trimming / setting up is all important, so know your plane, what it's built of & how to best fix that style of construction, and unless you have deep pockets get used to cosmetic damage. Battle scars are a part of the learning experience, and believe it or not many veteran pilots still add a few to their planes due to stalled engines, wind gusts while landing, or failed electronic components etc.
You didn't mention where you intend to fly so just in case that's a public place like a sports field be advised that any place where the general public is allowed free usage to do family style activities is DANGEROUS to use for flying, and you could cause serious harm to someone in a crash. If you have a wide open space like unused rural land (like in my back yard) you still need permission to use it for insurance (MAAC) to cover any serious damage you might do to other peoples property, but if it's your property (live on a farm) lucky you. Whatever you decide just remember clubs are filled with people with a common interest, and they really want to share their passion of the hobby by bringing new people into it. A club is your best resource, but you can do it on your own & depending on you're understanding of why a plane can fly, how to trim it, & how to use the transmitter sticks (don't jam them hard over) etc will dictate how long & how expensive the learning curve will be.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Originally Posted by olympiadriver View Post
I am sure I could teach myself, but I don't know how many repairs or new parts I will have to do.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
The learning curve for flying RC is pretty steep if you don't have help. I agree with the other posters, find a local club and get some flying instruction. It's much easier and cheaper in the long run.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice
I am: Duane V

Total Props: 4

Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to check out the Hanover flying club. Too bad it is the end of the season, cause I want to fly now!!
olympiadriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

it is never the end of the season , I fly all year round,heli's and planes, we make ski's etc for winter and fly off an ice road on a lake or where ever possible. Your plane will work fine outside, you are only limited by the cold , I find -4c or warmer is best, all the guys are right find a club and enjoy, need help pm me if you like, Jim.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.