Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Derek P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
BiPlane Advice

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My grandfather has passed down a biplane that he used to fly for years. It is in kinda of rough shape although appears to be mechanically sound. I am a relatively new pilot but I feel like I can handle this plane with a little help on what to expect. Right now my biggest concern is figuring out how to balance a biplane in general. I am not sure what this aircraft actually is so I am not sure where the cg is supposed to be. From what I have read Typical CG on a bipe is directly above the lower wings leading edge.....If anyone has some insight or advice on flying biplanes in general or even this plane specifically I would appreciate it.

Thank you
Derek Petre

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bip4.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	121561   Click image for larger version

Name:	bip3.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	121562   Click image for larger version

Name:	bip2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	121563   Click image for larger version

Name:	bip1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	121564  

rcplanedriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: BiPlane Advice

Taking into consideration the two different shape of the wing platforms I would guess the G of G should be half way between the lower leading edge and the lower front spar. The leading edge of the lower wing would probably be nose heavy, but it would be possible to fly it with the C of G there. Caution flying this aircraft without the cowling could cause serious control problems.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:

thank you for the advice. I used an old laundry detergent bottle and made a front cowl for it. I also took your advice on the cg. I will be flying it today so I hope all goes well (knock on wood)
Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord).....

That's what you'll need to find and you've presented almost the toughest case

Step 1 - Top Wing: Measure back 25% of the chord from the leading edge at the root (middle) AND at the tips and make a mark. For instance, if the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge is 10", measure back from the leading edge 2.5".

Draw a straight line between the two points. Find the middle of that line, mark it and you have MAC for the top wing. (It's the average of the two points)

Step 2 - Bottom Wing: Because the bottom wing is not swept, the MAC is 25% behind the leading edge anywhere along its span.

Step 3 - From the mark you made at the middle of the MAC line on the top wing (step 1), make a line vertically to meet the MAC of the bottom wing (step 2). Some do this with a piece of string.

The mid point of that string is the C of G for that airplane.

Be warned that the procedure only puts you in the ballpark because it's not the "perfectly complete" method (which also involves proportioning by wing area, etc). The airplane will fly and be controllable but may not be quite right. Final adjustments can be made after flight trimming tests.

What I can't figure out is how the lack of cowl affects flight if the aircraft is balanced without it. I have a 'Bipe that is nearly identical to yours and it's never had a cowl.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray S.

Total Props: 4

Agree regarding no cowl...should not pose a problem based on my experience with my Astro Hog bipe. Flys very well with open engine bay, BTW which houses a ST90. Unlimited vertical!

Raysun is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

Derek - one word of advice re flying bipes vs single wings, bipes typically have more drag with those two wings so when you back off on throttle the plane will slow quicker than a single wing. Keep a bit of throttle on during your landing approaches. If you back off to idle some of them drop like a brick or stall quickly. Keep a couple of clicks of "juice" on as you bring her down.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:

So with some advice that I did receive I have taken the plane out and it did seem to fly well. Just as some of the advice indicated it did seem to stall very quickly while turning at lower speeds, I did manage to compensate for this before the plane fell out of the sky. I also found that on take off the plane wanted to pull left which appeared to be effected by the amount of power that I imputed. It also seemed to pull very hard right as soon as I cut the power. I am still pretty new to flying and would assume that is would be some what normal, although i have never had a plane pull to the extent. On the third flight everything was going along well as I did nice and straight pass by. Until the plane rolled right and went inverted on its own, I tried to correct and the plane did not respond until mere feet above the ground when it rolled out level and went in belly first destroying the lower wing and the upper wing supports.

I am really not sure what happened, it appeared to lose radio transmission but I am not really sure. I did find near the wreckage the crystal that was in the receiver as it had fallen out. It is possible I guess that this would have fallen out on impact but I suspect maybe it may have came out in flight causing the plane to lose control. I have the receiver mounted in the plane with the face of it pointing down. I am not sure if I possibly did not push the crystal in all the way or if mounting the receiver like this might have caused it. I do have the receiver glued to some 1/4 inch white foam to avoid vibration from where it is mounted.

The plane is repairable but I think i would like to fly it as single wing plane instead of the bi wing it looked pretty cool with the upper wing broken off hahaa.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.