Be VERY Careful!!!!!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1
Be VERY Careful!!!!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought I'd post a heads-up here about potential HD switch issues.

A while back a bought a batch of HD chargejack style switches here on RCC.
Now I've started using them, I have discovered that the first two I used have problems, and figured that if anyone else was using these switches (as in the first pic) that they should check them REALLY carefully.

The first switch 'leaked' current when in the off position. It took me a while to figure out why my flight batteries were draining over a couple of days, and after much testing & head scratching, found the switch was never quite 'off'!
Yanked it and installed this next switch.

All well for a half dozen flights or so, then my charger goes open circuit the next time I charged the attached flight battery. Checked the battery, it's ok.
Checked the switch - open circuit on the charge jack.

So I pulled it apart, and pic #2 shows what I found. A solder joint that was no longer connected, and two of the wires with cut insulation, almost touching.

We've had a couple of planes at the field go in with 'strange' failures - and they were all using the 'expensive' HD charge jack switches. So perhaps there are more dubious ones out there?

Be warned. Check carefully, it just goes to show, that even when you figure you've put in the best it isn't necessarily so.

I'm just pleased I run dual redundant switch/battery setups!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	122579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	122580  
MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Be VERY Careful!!!!!!!

I've doinked 2 planes this year because of electrical issues. Both were switch related issues, and here I thought the HD switches were better (if they failed, they failed to a closed position). Hmmmm, maybe its time to just plug the battery directly on to the Rx! Or ask the retailers to quit selling junk!

What make of switch was that?

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 10-18-2011 at 09:40 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

I bought some off ebay that look identical to the ones in the photo. I haven't had any electrical problems but they use really cheap materials. The plastic falls apart with the least amount of strain. It's getting hard to find a really reliable switch ! It seems that they are all made in China, with next to no quality control ..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

i have had issues with those switches and also mpi switches,when i would check my batteries through the switches i noticed that sometimes the voltage reading i got was like 2.5 volts with a fully charged battery.this had me worried that my battery was no good,after checking my batteries at the deans connector the voltage was good.this had me worried and i changed the switches,i fly giant areobatic planes and i run dual 2300 123,s for redundancy.i kept getting low battery warnings on my radio from my airborne battery packs and after furhter investigatng i found two bad switches.from now on its the best switches for the money and hopefully no issues with low battery voltage.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC20(2) & MX12 & MZ-18 & MZ-24
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 11
Angry Re: Be VERY Careful!!!!!!!

For what its worth.

I take the switches completely out of the plastic case and solder the brown ground wires to the metal of the switch at both ends. Then double up on the switch contacts for the red wires, the positive contacts as they are only using one side of the slide switch. The broken wire in Mikes switch is the binding wire if plugged into the data port on Spektrum/JR Rx's. I usually cut it off as it enters the switch. Then I put a bit of Goop over the wiring, put the black bottom back on and then sit the switch up right so that it doesn't get into the contacts.

These switches must be put together by Chinese school kids as some of them are terribly put together.

My advice would be to take them apart for inspection or DON'T use them.

Last edited by cloudniner; 10-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1

I will indeed be doing that all from now on Richard - pity to have to, but really silly not to! I was pretty horrified when I opened the switch, removed the black goop and found that only one side of the switch was being used. Really dumb.

And what I didn't highlight on the pic of my switch, was that like the orange wire, the brown wire had also separated from the circuit board - hence the open circuit.

Cheers, Mike
MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Damn! that is scary crap!

Thanks for the very informative heads-up

I have several of these switches in a few of my "nice" planes. I will definitely be checking them out in the next few days. Good thing the flying season is almost over. This will give me the time to go over all my switches and inspect for the same issue.

RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.