quadra 35 piston - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 10-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Joe M

Total Props: 0
quadra 35 piston

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All, I was wondering what other engine piston will work with a quadra 35. Mine might be had . I don't want to dump a lot of money into this thing and was wonder if I can use a different make. My dad has a lot of old chain saws around so was thinking maybe one is the same .So is quadra ,say poulan,or what any feed back would be great .Just getting into gas and this will be good for me to learn to make a old engine run again. I know I can get a ring from frank bowman .
It has very little compression and my dad thinks the piston may be cracked .because you can heat the air push by,and the cylinder walls look good. All part of the process .I haven't taken it apart yet ,but thats next .

Joey-snaproll is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4
Re: quadra 35 piston

You can try a new one, Check out this web site

I also have a Quadra 35 with only about 2 hours of run time, almost new. It also has little compression and you can also hear the air passing by the rings when you turn it over. Those engines usually don't have much compression, nothing like a glow engine.........

Did you try to run the engine yet to see if she runs OK?

Last edited by JETMIKE007; 10-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.
JETMIKE007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

When I was at the Quadra factory in Centralia many moons ago, they had two assembly lines running side by side. On one was aircraft engines. On the other was chain saws. Of the many which they assembled, Pioneer saws were running down the line.

They told me that the pistons and cylinders came from a subcontractor in Singapore. So undoubtedly, lots of other stuff will fit.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

try running the engine first. it takes heat to get things tightened up, it is probably fine takes a lot of running to wear out a quadra. usually crashed is the demise of them or lack of oil
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

The Quadra engines originated in BC in the mid 70s as the TML (Trail Mfg Ltd)Frontier Chainsaw and were 35 cc They were used by Pioneer and a few others with a different sticker on them When I was in the small motor business I sold them under the Power Tuff chainsaw name. I still have one and use it occasionally. Bennet would be your best bet.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276

Last edited by Flypaper; 10-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Joe M

Thanks for all the info guy's . I tried starting it get okay spark ,but going to check the points to make sure all that is good . set the gap , .I have a fella here that runs a couple .might just break down and let him have a go at it.
Joey-snaproll is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.