What servos/batteries to use on 40 and 1.20 size planes? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy Z

Total Props: 0
What servos/batteries to use on 40 and 1.20 size planes?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can someone give me some advice on servos and batteries to use on 40 size and 1.20 size sport planes? I'm getting back into the sport after 12 years off and things have changed! I want to replace my old JR507 servos and tried a couple of Hitec5485's(digital 72oz) and Hitec 645MG(metal gear 107oz). Which are better? My two 1.20 size planes are different in that one(Extra300) has 2 servos for ailerons and one servo for all other controls, my other(Super Sportster) 1.20 has 2 servos for elevators and 1 servo for all other controls.
Should I go digital or go with metal gearss and higher torque? I'm an intermediate flyer and don't need to go overboard with power/price. My 1.20 size planes use Spectrum AR6210 with 4.8V 2500MA batteries and the 40 size have 1500MA with Spectrum AR600. Besides this, I still use a couple of old JR receivers that seem to do the job. Any thoughts as to whether I should go for bigger batteries, etc.?
azsiros is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4
Re: What servos/batteries to use on 40 and 1.20 size planes?

Like you, I am an intermediate flyer and don't do any super crazy aerobatic or 3D stuff. I usually build my own aircraft and like to keep them as light as possible (and try to use the lightest hardware within reason). I like Hitec. They always seem to be a good "bang for the buck".

My perspective about 0.40 size aircraft is that I've used 40-50 oz-in servos a lot; even a single servo for 2 ailerons. That assumes very freely moving control surfaces. Binding linkages zap torque quickly. Also, I've seen bushing servos get sloppy with time.

IMHO, digital servos in a fixed wing aircraft are overkill. True, digitals tend to have higher resolution, higher strength and more speed. They also use more battery power and tend to be heavier (within the same sized servo case). They're also significantly more expensive than their analogue counterparts.

My experience has been that the recommended servos (kit plan, instructions) tend to be very good.

If I have a couple extra bucks, I'll upgrade servo features in the following sequence: real bearings, less weight, more torque, better gears, digital.

For batteries, I've been using a bit of a guess that gives reasonable longevity. 150mAh per standard analogue servo works pretty good. So for a 5 servo airplane = 750-800mAh battery easily gives 6 flights at 15 minutes each in the summer.

Sorry can't help with the 1.20 size stuff.....

If it helps, E-logger data from my Bergen gasser heli shows 5 standard high torque digitals (92 oz-in) draw 800mA (at 5.0V) at a fairly constant rate during relaxed flight.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy Z

Total Props: 0

Hey, thanks for the great info. I was thinking along the same lines that digital servos are overkill unless you're an expert and have money to burn, and I like the price of the Hitec's as well so I think I'll stick with the 645MG's which give plenty of torque for a good price.
azsiros is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Alberta Re: What servos/batteries to use on 40 and 1.20 size planes?

For my smaller nitro's .55 .70 .91 I use one sanyo 2000 6v nimh pack. They seem to hold up well for a hole day of hard flying. For my bigger setups I use two switches and two 2700 6v sanyo packs. one pack is enough but for the added weight which is nothing its a good failsafe from a brownout a little trick dalehunter showed me, as this last year was my first year flying. You plug one into the normal port on the receiver and just y harness another channel and plug the other battery in with it and then turn one switch on check surfaces, turn the other one on and turn first switch off, everything still works. So if theirs an interruption on one battery there will be no brownout and crash while waiting to reconnect the connection. I have two planes with the hitec 645mg servos an aeroworks extra 300 .90size and a cap232 dl50 and they work great in both one of my favorite servos
"Trout Farm Flyers"

North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10

+1 to 645 for for strength vs cost.they are strong enuf for the steering on my 1/8 scale monster truck. I have them in my 27% 50cc and I have not outflown them yet. They are slow compared to current digitals but that all depends on your skills and abilities. I also run dual rx batt and two switches as it divides the load between two sets of wires ( i find current switch harness wireing thin for some digital setups.) and switches.If you have a batt short it still wont help but all other conditions would be covered.(switch failure,bad connection,batt cell goes open circ etc. on one circ.)
Past Prez and Instructor
Edenvale Radio Controlled Aircraft Club
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC20(2) & MX12 & MZ-18 & MZ-24
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 11

I have been using these batteries for a few years and have had very good service from them. I use two of these together in my 85cc Yak. Hold a good charge and supply six Hitex 7955 High Torque digitals without any problems so a 120 size should be no problem.

The price is right also.

cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.