GTM 1/3 Fokker D-7 - Page 27 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #261
SteveD
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Re: GTM 1/3 Fokker D-7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mR JoLLy View Post
Steve Digital servos tent to "wine" as we call it over here as soon as a load is applied so I would not worry about that. I am using standard Hitec 645MG servos at 6V which will be sufficient for all surfaces.

Nigel
Ya I'm just "wining" a bit .time to move on...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #262
SteveD
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
futaba

Finished installing the aileron servos..just need to add the service hatches underneath.I went with a softer spring,everything works well..I've also reconsidered engine options and will go with the Zenoha 62/MR redrive setup.I'll give the EasyStart a try and see how it works out,I think C&H Ignition carries it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	432978   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	432986  
Old 10-03-2014, 02:22 AM   #263
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Nigel Wagstaff
Radio of choice:
Futaba FF9 with Spektrum module
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

Not had that much play time these past few weeks but I am having a weekend at it starting tonight! I will most likely be doing something like you have done with the servo connections.

Currently working out all the radio mounting points for everything in the fuselage. Not my most favourite job, but it has to be done!
mR JoLLy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #264
SteveD
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
futaba

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel eh Nigel,did you get your covering /dope/ shrinking issues ironed out?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #265
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

LOL Now there is a play on words!

Yes I did thank you, and it was most enlightening. I have spoken to the No.1 Company in the UK that covers full size and I took on-board what I was getting told. I will be making an instruction sheet as there are some do's and don't that really do make all the difference.

I'll let you know when its done

Something else I have done is to reinforce the lower wing seat area of the fuselage with a 3mm Stainless Steel plate. This also doubles as a securing point for the lower wing fixing bolts.

Nigel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8977a.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	433162  
Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #266
SteveD
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
futaba

That looks mighty strong indeed Nigel,I might do something similar with lite ply.Are you running a separate receiver in your top wing or are you hiding your wires in the struts?..
Old 10-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #267
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

Steve I would Use Stainless or Aluminium if I were you for this. Having the plan built wing there is not much room for the part to pass over the wing (or under it). I could have got away with Aluminium, however the lower wing securing screws are retained by threads in the steel. I didn't think Aluminium was durable enough for this reason.

The Radio has to have redundancy, (remember in the UK we are under the CAA over 20 Kg) so I have to run 2 receivers operating opposite surfaces, or I can fit an SRS type power box. I will be going down the Power Box route and running the cable up the struts.

I was thinking of going up a strut with the wires, but decided to run them on the surface taped and painted to the metalwork. However, I have left myself the option to open up the tubes should I want to go back to hiding them (which is very possible).

Nigel
Old 10-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #268
Aida_w
RCC Noob

I am: Tilmann M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba FX40

Steve,
with the MR drive on ZG62 you might not have enough power for the DVII!!! A 28x14 prop won't do the job, I'm afraid! I would go as far as saying: you will risk the model.....
I am running this setting on the 1/3 MR Camel and what you sometimes can read that "the Camel is drilling holes in the sky" is pure myth!! I'd urgently suggest a Schlundt drive or some other engine! The Schlundt drive f.e. swings a 34x20 (!) prop!
Well done with the aileron linkage! That's exactly the way I tried to explain earlier.

Nigel,
I completely agree with you: I forgot to mention that the seat of the lower wing HAS to be strengthened since the fuse is pretty wobbly at this very important point. I did it by glueing in a strong wooden cross bar. The sides are not that critical but the position of the sides to each other are! So you might consider some cross or diagonal enforcement here?

Steve,
my aileron cables go through the rear main struts - works perfectly. Since I am using the PowerBox "Evolution" I m perfectly happy with one receiver. The 2 receiver rules in the UK seem to be strange to me because if one of the two receivers should fail there is absolutely NO WAY to recover this model.....
Have a nice Sunday!
Tilmann

Last edited by Aida_w; 10-05-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Aida_w is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #269
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

Tilmann, I have just spoken to a model builder here in the UK who has built a number of Pups and other big WWI models. He agrees with your comments on MR reduction. I personally do not have a comment because I simply don't know. I do however trust the comments of the person I have spoken to so it looks like the cautionary note needs to be heeded Steve.

Remember my steel plates are threaded and hold the lower wing bolts Tilmann. When installed it makes a nice lock between the wing tubes and the fixing points. The extra stiffness is noticed once the screws are installed.

I have to agree about the CAA rules over here on Redundancy. Basic outline is for 2 batteries, 4 switches (2 per battery in parallel) Diode to protect each battery from a drain if the other battery fails and tries to draw current. Each servo controls one aileron and one half of the elevator and sometimes the rudder has 2 servos one from each receiver. There are models that have been made safe when they had problems with this system and there is no sign the CAA will change anything yet.

I personally do not like it also, but the Power Box SRS systems have sufficient redundancy built into them for the CAA to approve all of the SRS type boxes. So I can't have the Evolution, but the Cockpit SRS and Competition SRS are in the frame. I will be getting one this very next week as it's time to start fitting things out.

It's amazing isn't it how the same model can be built so differently

Nigel
Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #270
SteveD
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
futaba

"Something else I have done is to reinforce the lower wing seat area of the fuselage with a 3mm Stainless Steel plate. This also doubles as a securing point for the lower wing fixing bolts."
Nigel,I 'm guessing you had to widen your lower wing attachment brackets to accommodate the extra 3mm?Mine are tight fitting now...I like the idea of just bolting up the lower wing without fussing with nuts.And Tilmanns idea of cross bracing,.I'll have to work on something there..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.