Converting a Sea Cat to modern RC - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
Falcon 66-67
RCC Noob
I am: Porter H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 0
Re: Converting a Sea Cat to modern RC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by paulbipe View Post
Well this really turned out to be interesting!

I went with an electric conversion, with an 11/5" prop and had to reduce the incidence difference between the wing and the tailplane and then find the new balance point as the one on the plans made it fly nose heavy.

I have flown it at the field several times now and I can get close to an hour out of a battery if I hit the thermals.

It has flown at one float fly and that was an experience. Never flown off water before and a new plane to boot! Luckily, it really weather vanes into the wind and taking off is just a matter of hitting the throttle and off she goes, just don't catch a tip float!. Landing are easy as it just settles down into the water.

Some changes that I had to make was to get a better way of attaching the tip floats and as previously mentioned, reduce the wing incidence differential to the tailplane. It could also use a water rudder.

It flies great and is quite responsive to rudder and elevator.
The strut were solved by bolting them on using a nylon wing bolt as opposed to the elastic bands that the original plans called for.
What a trully great looking "old plane"You were spot on converting it to e- flight...Its the way I will go..What was the finished flying weight? What moter an bat. did you settel on , an prop? tks. an tks for sharing this great project
Falcon 66-67 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.