RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Julie M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
Girlfriend needs help!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi there,

I need a little direction if possible. I could potentially be the best girlfriend ever if I can pull this off but I need some advice from those in the know. My boyfriend stopped to admire an RC Helipcopter in a store window earlier this year and I would like to get him one for Christmas. There's a few things that make this tricky - he's an engineer so he would prefer to assemble himself (it seems as though most are RTF). He's also a big kid and will also likely crash it, therefore would not need anything too extravagent, just something cool to play with in the park. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!!
Baseline24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Re: Girlfriend needs help!

Every man needs a girlfriend this thoughtful - I salute you Julie!
Don't do helicopters myself though, sorry.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Hi Julie,

You are a keeper! My fiance bought me a new engine one Christmas, so, she is also, a keeper!

Your boyfriend is like me, I like to build, setup, and test, repair, setup, test, repeat!

If he has never flown an RC aircraft (plane or helicopter), perhaps, purchase a Simulator for him? The Pheonix & RealFlight are 2 of the popular ones and are available at almost all hobby shops.

If you still want to purchase a kit for him, then, I would suggest an Align 450 helicopter, I am sure there will be other suggestions, as well. You could also visit a local hobby shop, too.

If you go the non-RTF route, you would need to purchase essentials and extras to get the bird in the air. For example, a radio/receiver, batteries/motor/ESC (depending on the kit) building tools, set up tools, CA, Threadlock, etc..

However, the above helicopter is a Collective Pitch (CCPM) helicopter which would be very challenging for a beginner to setup and fly. A co-axial helicopter (most RTF) would be easier to fly for a beginner with zero or minimal setting up. The next step from a co-axial would be a fixed pitch helicopter. Once he masters the fixed pitch helicopter, he could then move up to a CCPM helicopter. Most CCPM helicopters would require building, mechanical setup, radio setup, testing, and tweaking of mechanical and radio setup.

Another option is to find and visit an RC club in your area.

I wish you luck and hope you find the perfect gift for your boyfriend and perhaps you could join him and learn to fly as well...

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 9

Hi there, any of the blade helicopters, in the beginner level, are great starters.

It's best to start out in a RTF, with radio and charger included, then when he gets more experience, he can start moving up to larger ones that require assembly.

When dealing with the hobby shop, make sure you are able to buy replacement parts, like blades, batteries, electronics, etc. Check the inventory they have on hand, so when you need replacement parts, and you will need the parts, you can get them off the shelf. Helicopters and airplanes that can be purchased at the big box stores are unlikely to have any replacement parts available, and then your purchase is likely garbage, when the big crash happens.

Hope this helps, Daren
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Daren71 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Julie M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2

Wow - thanks for the quick responses guys! Very helpful I think I'll start him off with a RTF - he can mess around with that one and then graduate to the next level when he's ready. Thanks again!
Baseline24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Keith Z
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 20

Julie that is awesome you are into the idea of getting your boyfriend a heli!! I guess you dont know how addictive this hobby really can be.

I think the main question to ask you is how much cash are you willing to spend?

This hobby does not come cheap! Im just glad i have a very understanding girlfriend as well.

The absolute best thing you could possibly buy him is a very high quality simulator!

I highly recommend phoenix rc simulator that comes with a dx4 transmitter. That way he can learn how to fly from beginner heli's right up to the collective pitch 3d machines!

With out having the cost of repairs! Also realflight 6 was just released but i dont know anything about that product.

Phoenix Rc is the way to go!!

Cheers Keith

Last edited by heli-insane; 11-15-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typos
heli-insane is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

Marry an engineer!!!! Are you sure you want to do this? My wife has been married to one for 42 years and could probably talk you out of it.

Can't give much heli advice 'cause all I have is a little indoor coaxial RTF for about $100 or less. It's a riot although the cat doesn't think so.

The simulator advice is bang on. lots of gain with no pain.

The other advice I liked was learning to fly with him if you have ANY interest at all. But don't force yourself, it's frustrating enough for us who are devoted to RC. On the other hand there are far too few ladies in the hobby and you'll be a celebrity!
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Hey Julie maybe you could call my wife and have a little chat with her.
I would appreciate it.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 11

lol Bill. I think the blade McpX RTF would be a good started, cheap parts takes a beating and is flybarless. It is a full collective pitch heli so it wont be as easy to fly as the fixed pitch or the twin rotor helis, but a person won't out grow it very soon. +1 to phoenix sim, a simulator is excellent tool in learning helis although it is not as much fun as a real rc heli.
PS, if you get him hooked on Rc, gift shopping will become very easy for you lol.
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

First, very impressive that you admit to having an engineer for a boyfriend. Kudos.

Second, engineer or not - what kind of guy would not love ANY r/c helicopter gift he got for Christmas?!?! If there's any "it's the thought that counts" here, you've already won big time.

So get him something that would suit a beginner and something that has some decent technology as well. A micro would be cool as he could fly all winter indoors. Something like a Blade mCX series would be ideal.

P.S. the last thing an engineer needs is another reason to sit in front of a computer. -1 on the sim!!
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.