Guidance on servo selection - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
Guidance on servo selection

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well,after taking a number of years off from building and flying,it's time to have at it and enjoy the hobby again.I'll dust off the trainer to limber up the thumbs but will head off to lager types.Although mainly focusing on the up to 50cc types of sport models,just looking for direction on decently priced servos.Futaba of course has a good selection but what about some of the others?Any to stay clear of or are they all decent across the board? All input welcome.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Guidance on servo selection

You're correct on the Futabas. Personally I have been using Hitec in a majority of applications and they also have a wide range of sizes and torques. Their geartrain has a bit of a problem in that one internal gear has a habit of wearing rapidly under load. From what I have heard JR makes very good servos and my friend uses them almost exclusively on his turbine jets.

On that note, if you were like me and had a hiatus from the hobby you will be in for a shock. The technology has really advanced. Now you have the choice of analog and digital servos, coreless motors, programmable functions and a much higher performance capability. All that comes at a cost, so when you opt for much better servos be prepared to feed them more current. The old 4-600MHh packs standard when I started are far too limp for todays needs.

Welcome back.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

Thanks for the response Cougar429. I have noticed the advancements as well as the need to use stouter batteries.A nice progression for sure.I did hear a while back that certain HITEC servos has issues.May just have to be very selective on them or go with Futaba only.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

Aside from Hitec, Futaba, and JR - you may want to give Savox a try - we have been selling them for a while now, and the feedback has been great. Savox also makes servos for Spectrum and Align. They have been in the game for a long time, so they are a proven company.

You can try some of the other overseas brands - but make sure you test each servo thoroughly before flying - we've brought in many of the overseas brands for testing and have been disappointed with the quality control and failure rates.

For a 50cc sport plane - you can look at the Hitec HS-5685MH - these offer 157oz of torque at 6.0v and can be run at 7.4v (for 179oz of torque). These are basically the new replacement for the HS-5645MG - they are a better servo and center much better than the 5645.

If you are have a 50cc aerobatic plane or plan to compete in IMAC or fly 3D - you'll need a better servo. Something like the Hitec 7985, 7954 or 7955 - or the Savox SC-1256TG or SC-1258TG (They offer Titanium Gears) or the Savox SC-1268SG

We have these Hitec servos available:

We have these Savox servos available:

Let me know if you have any questions,

Check out the Thunder Hangar Blog!!
grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
steven r
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Steven Ruxton
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 2

+1 on the Savox servos I've found mine to be very fast and durable at a lower price point than the Hitecs.

I've only ever wanted 1 more a time
Second annual WRCFC IMAC contest June 18/16
steven r is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.