Dynam PBY Catalina - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: john g
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 DSMX

Total Props: 1
Re: Dynam PBY Catalina

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Big daddy4902, that is were I started to read up on this plane and with all the good comments about it I thought I would get one. I hadn't read anything about this plane on RCC so I thought I would post and see if anyone out there had one and what they thought. I'm hoping to do a colour change to a RCAF/RAF colour if possable to make it a little different from the others that might be out there. I have read about the wing tip floats hanging down a little low(ground looping if to fast and a wing tip hangs up in the water) so I may look into moving them up a little through a modifation of some type. I was looking at possable trying my hand at making the tip float retracts as that would add ever so much to its scale. John
If I could fit in my plane I would
BigJohn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gregory C
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3

I have this plane and it is a blast! It flies like a cub and you can put 2X3S 2200 in parallel and it still takes the weight. I flew it all winter and can't wait till we have some hot summer night and a lake!

The battery pack should sit at the rear most of the battery compartment. Make sure that the battery hatch is secured properlly, if it comes off, it's toast by the props. Otherwise very solid plane. I am sorry SN is all out of them. Everyone at my club wants one!
Gregor77 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Hi Guys,
I purchased this plane last summer and tried flying it off my local pond. I had a couple of issues with it: first it was a bit hard to turn the plane using ailerons only and I had to later mix in some rudder to get the plane to turn properly but I also noticed that it was very susceptible to breeze the wind would push it around. The second issue was with the props that are not counter rotating. which caused me some difficulty taking off from the water as the plane always wanted to tip right. I even flipped it once in the water and burned out the esc's and stock motors by accidentally giving power while the plane was upside down. Now I plan to fix it up and I ordered new motors and escs for it. I am going to put counter rotating props and a 3 axis stabilizer or it and get it ready to fly again this summer.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

One of the problems with this aircraft is the rounded corners on the bottom of the hull and the floats. This discourages separation from the water. You need to make these corners sharp. Use strips if rigid plastic or that really thin plywood. If you are going to fly it off of the snow I would recommend you cover all the bottoms with 1/32" or 1/64" plywood and make it 1/8" bigger than the bottom. On the rear hull just cover an inch at the rear step. At the main step if you provide a channel for the air to get in, this will help a lot.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gregory C
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3

Good suggestions Kip... I sold mine a while ago and still want to get another one.. They are tons of fun..
Gregor77 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.